May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (battle, Stanton Hillis, Southern Sport, buckstix, Buzz, Fudd), 463 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,465
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

HomelessjOe:
Thanks for the information regarding the date of manufactur. I am willing to take more pictures of my Scott if that will help.
IMO This has been an very intersting thread and brought greater appreciation of 109 year old craftsmanship to me.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't know, really - maybe he could afford it, maybe Scott didn't offer it, etc. I can think of a lot of different reasons.

Homeless, what's your theory on it? I would be interested to hear it.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't have a theory on Jims gun being built as a true left handed action.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One ironic point here is I am a lefty and had never given any thought to the fact the the top level worked just the opposite of the rest of my doubles. I just checked the choking and the right barrel is more open than the left one.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are some more pics of Scott Premiers.

This is another 12g hammergun.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/465580.jpg

Check out the doll's head extension and the lump coming through the bottom of the action.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/465581.jpg

The lump coming through th action is the front section of the front lump. This gun has features Scott's Adjustable Lump. The adjustable lump was used on some hammer guns from 1870 - 1887.

I think some of them come all the way through the bottom of the action. Others are like this, with the adjustable section hidden by the action.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/465583.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/465585.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/465584.jpg

Here's a Purdey hammergun from about the same time as the Premier above was made (around 1880):

http://www.hunt101.com/img/408849.JPG

Here's a Premier 10g with a Purdey-patent thumbhole lever:

http://www.hunt101.com/img/465587.jpg

Check out the step in the bbls. I have no idea what that's all about. I think the gun is 100% original.

According to the Scott book, Scott used Purdey-patent thumbhole levers from 1865-1880.

And here's a hammerless 12g Premier:

http://www.hunt101.com/img/465590.jpg

Nice wood!

What are the dimensions on everyone's guns? Most of 19th century Scotts that I have seen have had a lot of drop in them. This makes me think that they were made for the American market.

Does anyone out there have an old Premier with more British stock dimentions - like 2-2 1/2" drop at the heel?

Enjoy. And if you have any pics of W&C Scotts, please add them.

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 01/15/07 10:02 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

This has been a great thread - the reason I frequent this board. Thanks for all those who have contributed.

I am still not sure of the history of the guns - I'll probably end up buying the book. I can't imagine the quality, fit and finish of a true top manufacturer of shotguns like Purdy, Boss and H&H if WC Scotts are second or third tier guns. No way I could even dream of having a comparable gun built today.

Why were these guns built for the US market and how did they differ from those made for the Euro/English market?

Thanks again,

JDG

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Scott had a huge following in the US.

According to the book, several famous American shooters used them - Captain A.H, Bogardus, a Mr. C Macalester - and Scott guns did very well at a number of top American shoots, including and International Gun Trial held in New York in 1873.

I have a reprint of a W & C Scott catalog from 1872. Along with testimonials from shooters from England, the catalog is filled with compliments from shooters from Boston, Worcester, New Orleans, Lexington, KY, and one from a Mr. Van Gieson who lived in Whitewater, WI.

Wm. Read and Sons in Boston was one of Scott's US agents for a while.

I think the stock dimensions were the big difference. I don't know of any others - probably just patent marking, maybe importer's names, etc.

Here's a Scott that was retailed by a firm in Paris:

http://www.leroymertz.com/photo.php?id=1738_0_2_0_M28

The gun does not have Scott's name on the rib. Instead, it has the retailers name and Paris address.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok, I finally pulled the 10ga two barrel set out of the safe. It will be packaged up for delivery to the 'smith in the next few days for renovation. You can note some of the problems in the pictures. What can't be seen is a loose rib on the Lindner barrel set, a cracked hammer and initials stamped in the wood. I bought this gun twice. Once in Kentucky while on vacation and once later when I realize selling it was a mistake. Some of you may have seen it on Pete Hiatts table in the interim. Gratefully he was willing to let me have it back for a reasonable sum. The hammergun I pictured above was sold to finance the renovation of this gun.

Obvious need of a new replacement hammer screw. The other side has the same brass screw.

Proof marks on both barrel sets. You can see the HAL/Crossed Pistols on the Lindner set.

Forend that fits both barrel sets. Here you can seel the 'typical' push button release used by Scott on most Premiers.

This poorly focused picture shows the two barrel sets. I believe the short 26" barrels to be original. Going from my eight year old memory they are not out of proof and they still have signifigant choke in both barrels. The Lindner set is 32" long and still in proof also. All proofs being blackpowder.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: obsessed-with-doubles
Hey, thanks for the pics. Keep them coming.

I'm away from my reference material right now, but once I'm back I'll try and post some info about the guns. I think you guys have covered things pretty well, though.

Homelss - I think true left-handed guns were as left handed as the guyer's wallet could afford.

And yes, Jay, my Premier is the one you saw. My 'smith has already bent the stock and it looks great. I'm glad I was wrong about the bend affecting the stock's looks.

Take care.

OWD

BTW: Storm - I have the new Lefever. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow. You're going to be real jealous when you see it at the UJ shoot this summer.

Damn! Wish I had that little gem. I'll be sure to find a better one tho... Wish I had won that BH. Let me know how she shoots.

Last edited by StormsGSP; 01/16/07 12:59 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

A better look at the side.

And the Trigger Guard,

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.