May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hal M Hare, PALUNC, Chuck H, David Williamson), 458 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice gun Jim.

OWD If it was made as a "true left handed gun" wouldn't the triggers be set up for a left handed shooter with the chokes reversed ? (I know the triggers could've be reversed)

The forearm latch looks different than most Premiers I've saw. Is the gun marked "Premier Gun' on the rib ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it would be easier all the way around if I listed all markings on this Scott so here goes:

Top of barrels: (Right) W C Scott & Sons 78S Shaftsbury(?) Avenue London SW England.
Rib just ahead of dolls head: Scotts Improved Bolt
Top of barrels: (Left) Made of Sir Joseph Medfords Fluid Compressed Steel

Underside of barrels(Both): Whithworth Trademark* Manchester
Barrel flats near lugs: 13/1 "crossed swords" 12 over a C in a diamond

Water table: Patd. 5259-23 MF 1249 "crossed swords"
W C Scott & Sons Makers

The serial # 594XX appears on all parts.
N.B. It is possible I misread some of this as the letters and numbers are incredibly small even with a magnifing glass. I can take more picture if it would be helpful.
*The word "Trademark" is superimposed over some type of stamped crown.
As a side note: I've shot this Scott numerous time with low pressure loads and it's an incredibly nice handling gun!

Additional Notes:
All I can tell you about the forarm latch is the serial # matches the rest of the gun.
I cannot find any other rib markings other than the one I listed above.

Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 01/12/07 03:34 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is not a Premier so can anyone help out with an identification? BTW, it is a 2-barrel set, both damascus. First set 30" second set 40".

Thoughts?

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jay thats not Parker. Allow me to take it off your hands so you can make more room in the safe for Parkers! Beautiful, and with a set of 40 inch tubes to boot!

Sidelock
Sidelock

40 inch tubes?!? Wow. Neat gun.

In regard to the model, from the engraving coverage (according to Crawford's book) it looks to be an "A" or "B" quality gun (just below Premier). Many of the Scott model designations are marked on the gun the top of the barrels (e.g., "Pigeon Club Gun"). Does your gun have a gold shield on the top of the buttstock just below the toplever? Or is the escutcheon lower on the buttstock?

Thanks for posting,
Ken

- I'll try and post some photos of my Scott later today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken:
Thanks for the info. regarding the grade of my Scott. There is a gold sheild on the underside of the buttstock. It has never been engraved.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jay what's the year of manufacture ?

I'd think that was an unusual Scott hammer gun with the square cross bolt.

JM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting the pics folks, they are excellent guns indeed!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know when my Scott was manufactured, perhaps someone can tell me from the Serial # which is 51314. Top of the rib says:

"W & C Scott & Son 10 Gt Castle Street Regent Circus London"

There is no shield on the top of the wrist but there is a brass oval on the lower buttstock. All serial numbers and proof marks match - looks like the gun came from the factory with both sets of barrels. It has not been Nitro proofed.

Storms, you know me well. Not a Parker but the girls seem to have welcomed her without objection. Have to tell you that this gun locks up like a vault and feels a heck of a lot more substantial than any of my Parkers. Hammer springs are still stiff - when you cock them you know by hearing and feeling the click.

I passed on a Premier, perhaps the one OWD aquired, and bought this one. It seems to have about 90% of the engraving you see on a Premier (note the hammers) but the damascus pattern on both sets of barrels is just spectacular.

The gun rests in an old Army & Navy case. Anything wrong with replacing the A & N lable with a vintage WC Scott Lable?

The gun was featured in the Nov-Dec issue of Doublegun Classics, an e-Magazine published here in Michigan and with which I am NOT affiliated. From the website you can download a sample of the magazine and see some better pictures of this gun. (This is not a commercial endorsement).

http://www.doublegunclassics.com/

This is my first hammer gun, and second English gun, and I am very excited to own it. I hope to take it out and break some clay birds with it in the next couple of weeks and I can't wait to walk up on the trap line with those 40" barrels.

Not trying to hi-jack this thread. I am very interested to learn anything I can about WC Scott guns, and this one in particular. I have read that in the 1880s and 90s it was "fashionable" for gentleman to hunt from horseback with guns sporting 40" barrels and I have heard of Greener's with 40" barrels but I have never heard of another Scott so equipped. Again, any thoughts and/or information would be appreciated.

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/

Jay:
Beautiful gun and I don't see anything wrong with replacing the case label. The above site has these labels in stock.
BTW: I only live about 10 minutes from the William Larkin Moore establishment and so I get to see a lot of high end doubles. Frankly I've yet to see or handle one where the quality seems superior to my own Scott and that includes Purdeys.
Jim

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.