May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Parabola, Sandlapper, SKB, lagopus, dogon, fullandfuller), 1,022 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,542
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a Nichols and Lefever hammer gun on one of the internet sites very recently. The pics weren't the best but you could tell the gun had patina barrels, worn checkering, dents and little stock finish... and a brilliant vibrant new case color job on the receiver. The colors looked great, but very much out of place. I'd have preferred to see this nearly 140 year old piece with a patina or very faded case receiver. In this case (no pun intended) the new case colors probably reduced the value of the gun.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to invest the time and money it can be done. You can browse my blog posts for free where I've posted my processes and results. I love the challenge and if you are keen I thoroughly recommend it to you. There is no better feeling dipping your hands in the quench bath an pulling out a nicely coloured part but be ready for problems if you don't get it right. For me it's that risk that makes it exciting for me! Try my blog at http://www.vintageshotgun.com

Best
TT

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
If you want to invest the time and money it can be done.

That line is Very Important. One needs to insure they either do it (or have it done) Right, or Don't do it at all. Be certain the process used not only re-colors, but also re-hardens, the parts. If not live with what colors you have, or don't have, the original hard case was not lost, only the colors.
There are several outfits who have done much research into this & can do a good job.

I am a great one for Doing it Myself, but this is not a job for a DIY'er unless you are willing to do a lot of investigating & a considerable outlay of cash for the start-up. From a previous thread on this subject a few weeks back it appears that B'999 has done his study well & had some good help. You would likely do well to listen to what he has to say on the subject.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've just put bag loads of research in and pant filling trials. Happy to help anyone with my understanding of how to do things or not..there are plenty of cleverer people than me out there and on these forums. PA24 being one very clever bod who has done more than me...but just shout or email/private message me if you want any views/feedback.

Cheers
T

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just love it when people like Mr Ken Rise answer a Q with such
authority...what the hell does he know what this guy Dav from Oz wants to do with the info he gets from people who actually know how to do it?
I'm sure he's going to stick his H&H in the oven wrapped in piss soaked newspaper, right?
How did the guys who do it well learn?
It wasn't from a non answer like yours Ken, that's for sure.
It's his hunk of metal, leave him alone.
I find it a fascinating subject too, & would love to mess around with it.
Good luck Dav
Franc

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.