April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Steve Nash, smlekid, MattH, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 498 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are at least seven different Miller trigger designs plus the Ithaca copies. Not all work equally well, hense the evolution of that trigger mechanism. More than any other single trigger design, if a problem develops with an Infallable, chances are it's operator head space. The Infallable can not be tricked into balking or doubling no matter how hard you try. Even out of the gun, in your hand, you can not trick it out of proper sequence, right first or left first. Thats not to say that you can't fit the sears so delicately that the gun won't double. Have you ever examined how robust and ingenious an Infallable is? Now, I like a Miller trigger (designs 5 & 6 only), but it looks as though it was fashioned from a bent tuna can and a couple of paper clips where an Infallable looks as though a team of German Elf machinists stayed up all night just to produce the "one" perfect mechanism. In my opinion the only advantage a Miller has, that it requires less removal of precious wood to fit it. Over the years I have tried to examine as many of the 150+ ST designs that predate WW II (the area of collecting that interests me)and unforntunatly I must agree with the other single trigger smiths, the Infallable/Worrest trigger is the KING. It's too bad the tremendous machining costs associated with that mechanism led to it's demise. I would love to see a pre-war ST that is a more dependable design ...American or foriegn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you compare the two triggers, Lard's and Millers, I'll take the Miller's any day. Lard's is a nightmare ready to happen. If any of those springs lose some tension from age, etc, anything can happen, double fire etc.
Lard's Hunter One-Trigger

Miller's One Trigger

Which one do you think is less likely to go wrong.
Also Hunter Arms put Hunter One-Trigger iln a few ways.

In my opinion the early Miller one trigger selector was the easiest and best to operate, compared to Lard's alongside the trigger, not very user friendly.

Last edited by JDW; 04/14/07 09:14 AM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow...you guys sre really up on your ST mechanisms...I still haven't figured out how to post photos yet...perhaps someone could explain how, or I can email photos to someone who knows how. I think I can send pics of at least 4 different Hunter Arms single trigger designs...two Lard/Thorneley based, and two Jarred (?)...Then I have the LC Crown with the Infallable...and yet another factory Smith trigger that predates Lards association with LC Smith (pre-1899), but I'm not sure of the design as I have never cracked that particular gun open.... Also ...strange as it may sound, I have a factory Remington mdl 1894 ST that is unmistakably a Lard Design...Oh yeah don't forget the Curtiss ST...

Sidelock
Sidelock

In looking at old single trigger patents, it seems a lot of inventors were set on doing a trigger for the big boys -- Remington Arms Co.'s Hammerless Double. Four by G.E. Witherell; two by E.H. Thorneley; two by E.D. Fulford; and three by Charles E. De Long. Bet they all felt bad when Remington dumped the doubles in favor of making real money with J.M. Brownings Autoloading Gun!!!

Sometime back, someone emailed me these pictures of what appears to be a Lard trigger on a triggerplate for a Remington Hammerless Double --

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert, I PM'd you about posting pictures. David

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

TTT

This subject needs more attention. I traded an AH Fox AE with what was supposed to be a Miller single trigger. While I am a fanatic about rifle triggers, shotgun trigger pulls aren't that important to me as long as they aren't over 5-6 lbs. The current owner was watching this thread and maybe he can post some pictures.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW..when I saw your post, I realized the my email address has since changed...so I changed my profile to reflect the correct email...anyway I didn't get the message yet...or, if you would send it again to robertchambers@adelphia.net..who is the preferred hosting company? Is is best to pay an image host? Thanks for your help...I think the photos will be worth your time, as I have triggers that very few have seen...Jerrod, Flues, Syracuse..others...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert,

http://www.photobucket.com

Very easy to use and free. No reason to pay for photo hosting.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Robert, I PM'd you again about posting pictures. Also like Mike (Utah Shotgunner) said, it's free and easy.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

ok I guess that I don't get PMs...but that's ok, now that Utah said "photobucket" (thanx Utah)...I'm sorta figuring it out anyway...this pic is not the Infallable of course, just the only photo that I had ready to go...my camera is on loan again ...I haven't figured out how to reduce the image yet, this is only a test, so I hope I can edit this if being oversize tosses a shoe into the machinery and stalls the thread or somthing...no one mentioned any pitfalls...so here goes...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.