May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 756 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#198811 08/10/10 01:55 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ran across a Sauer drilling (16x16x???). It was a back-action hammer gun but the odd thing is that it had both a top lever and a side lever. The top lever seemed non-functional while the side lever opened the action. Anyone ever see this? What would be the purpose of the top lever?

m-4 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

To select shot bbl's or rifle, the side lever is for opening it

m-4

m-4 #198821 08/10/10 02:53 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

m-4,

Thanks. It didn't seem to want to move and I didn't try to force it.

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Top lever probably moves to the left.

m-4 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Was the right hammer cocked?

M-4

m-4 #198867 08/10/10 08:50 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Neither hammer was cocked and I didn't apply much force at all towards the left. If they don't come back with an outrageous price I'll try moving the lever to the left.

Thanks for the help and knowledge.

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Be careful with hammer drillings in general. They are neato guns but they typically don't have high values.

Some of the most amazingly beautiful hammer guns I've seen were made by Collath. The engraving of the dogs/birds looked like photographs. The bad news is that most of the old Collath guns were chambered in "Collath" calibers...that don't exist in production today.

As a neophyte drilling collector what I've come to learn is that you must buy what you love but you should definitely have a chamber cast done on the rifle chamber BEFORE you pay for the gun if possible.

Also, be aware you need special 16 gauge short shells for the gun you're considering.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rookhawk,

I appreciate the advice. This gun is marked Sauer but I'd still do a chamber cast. When you say short chambers do you mean 2 1/2" or shorter? I already load for 2 1/2" 12 and 16.

Phil

Boxlock
Boxlock

I am looking for information on obtaining a fore arm for a Kreighoff drilling. I would appreciate any help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Philbert,

When I said "short chambered" I did indeed mean 16 gauge, 2-9/16" chambers. (Not modern 2-3/4" chambers)

I'm really falling in love with drillings myself so I understand the enthusiasm you must be feeling about this nice old hammer gun.

I've come to realize that the readers of these forums are not stereotypical gun collectors so take this into consideration. Most of the Internet drilling fans are hard-core reloaders that are smiling with delight when they get an old drilling in an obscure caliber. They'll hunt down dies, make brass and literally create ammunition for a gun that hasn't been fired in 100 years. That is marvelous and interesting but A.)I want no part in it for myself, and B.) Guns in obscure cartridges are worth less as collectibles.

Having said all of that, lets hope your gun's chamber cast ends up being a 8x57jr or a 9x72 where the ammo exists today for a reasonable price. Can't say I envy you trying to reload 8x58 Sauer, 8x57-360 or 11mm Collath!

Please keep this post going because I'm interested to see pictures and hear how your saga ends up with this gun. Posting pictures of the proof marks would serve to educate myself and others while probably giving you a lot more information about the gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rookhawk,

I appreciate your responses. If I am fortunate enough to get the gun I'll post pics.

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Phil,

I read a quote recently about Parker Shotguns that is 100% applicable to drillings as well. "Be careful what you buy because they are extremely common...it is the excellent condition that is rare".

When I think of German Drillings I think they are very comparable to American Parker Shotguns of the same generation. Everybody's dad and grandad in America had a Parker bouncing around in the back of a pickup truck or rusting away in a closet, basement or woodshed. Drillings had a similar life history back in their native homeland in Europe.

What makes a drilling valuable (generically speaking, there are exceptions) is its shootability and overall condition. There is an unending supply of prolifically engraved, amazing German Hammer drillings with 20% original finish to be had for $800-$1500 each. (short chambered and loaded with an obscure, extinct cartridge naturally). Most of these guns also have the feature of a broken/cracked horn trigger guard, under lever or butt plate as well.

My point is this: Remember to be anal retentive as you decide if you're going to enjoy this drilling and if you're getting a good value. There are tons of them out there and most of them aren't worth very much at all.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rookhawk,

That is good advice. I stopped by the shop the other day and they still haven't priced it. They want to get it "appraised". Oh boy - can't wait to see how that comes back......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.