March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, jake van dyke, Marc Ret, MattH, 2 invisible), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OK, I'm on a casing binge before bird seasons start. Just spent quite a bit of time cleaning mud spots off the outside of a nice canvas/leather case and thought there must be a better way. Does anyone here have experience using aerosol Scotchguard or anything like it on the exterior of canvas cases? I'm thinking I can mask off the brass bits, spray the case lightly and then just wipe off the leather parts. Anybody see a downside to this?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Scotchguard can stain (change the color) of some materials so you may want to try a small less obvious spot first. I am not so sure the scotchguard will keep the dirt off but it may make it easier to clean next time.

As a side note don't you think a little dirt adds character.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It will repel moisture, which probably is a good thing. But I'd sure test it. I don' tthink it will change color, but it might keep the color from aging. No big deal.

Do they still make Scotchgard?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would recommend a product called Camp Dry. It is a silicone based product and works well on both the canvas and the leather. It will make the leather a little darker in color. Use outside and let dry. A couple of coats.
You can buy it at Walmart for about $5.00 and I use it on all leather products. It will extend the life of the leather.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
don't you think a little dirt adds character.

Agreed, but one of the problems I'm having with cases from multiple makers is that when I do have to wipe off the outside of the case with a damp rag, even plain water pulls some of the color out of the canvas (color comes off on the rag). This leaves the canvas color a bit blotchy and I figure the protectant will minimize the amount of wiping/rubbing I need to do. I have two cases I'm willing to experiment with.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
Do they still make Scotchgard?

Yep. Spray cans at the hardware store. I'm also looking at some of the automotive fabric protectors. If whatever I use does change the color, that's OK as long as the change is uniform.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Quote:
I would recommend a product called Camp Dry.

I just Googled Camp Dry and I recognize the can. Thanks for the suggestion.

Didn't start out looking for waterproofing, but research is kind of leading me in that direction. I already have some NikWax in a pump sprayer that I use on my old duck parka. I think one of the advantages of something like NikWax would be breatheability once it's on the case. I have no idea how much these cases can breathe, but I don't think I want them to hold moisture inside.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used Campdry on my old hunting coat for years; couple treatments per season. Works great

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

Has anyone used Nikwax? Works great on shoes of any construction and I'm beginning to look for other applications.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Nikwax has a bunch of different products, including one for shoes that supposedly works on both leather and fabrics, and I think it's breatheable. I'll probably call them later today and see what they think of my idea. Their customer service people have been helpful in the past.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.