May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lloyd3, Hugh Lomas, buckstix, ksauers1, 2 invisible), 816 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,488
Posts545,304
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

FWIW, the last time that I patterned some factory loads using plastic wads through two dif 'rifled spreader chokes' they both threw IC patterns.

One still sees Sporting Clays shooters on ocassion shooting 'threads'. Can't say that I see any advantage over a cyl or skeet type choke tube, but there are some who believe that wad retarders in chokes exist as well. Hahaha

Cyl chokes will often throw patterns w/hot centers, probably more so today than in times past, but that held true with card wads as well sometimes and even in black powder era, if one can believe what was written on the subject where trials were conducted for pattern effectiveness and penetration on 'standardized' card stock at the time.

The average flushed bird shot behind a good dog is probably well within the CYL or no choke range, at least for the first shot, some pheasant excepted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Originally Posted By: clampdaddy
It only takes one pellet to break clay.

Sometimes. If you walk around on a target field, you'll pick up a surprising number of clays with one hole in them. Some with two. Very occasionally, 3. I don't think the guys who are shooting the top scores at the target games are counting on single pellet breaks. Especially not in American skeet, where if you don't go straight--especially with the gauges other than the .410--you aren't going to win.

Yeah, that is true, but you are really only inspecting whole clays. If you were looking for almost whole clays you'd probably find just as many that only show a hit or two on the broken edge. For skeet a cylinder bore works great but in the real world of hunting you are rarely presented those perfect shots at almost the same range time after time after time and in the clay sports, even though a guy isn't counting on chips whether he's a pro or a beginner, even chipped target counts as a hit and you get the same point as if it were smoked. In the game fields a shot that would chip clay and go down as a hit on the score card will more than likely just result in an unrecoverd crippled game bird. My point is that shooting clay is only one facet of shotgunning and for the most part an all around shotgun really does benefit a choked bore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan

I like smoke, not chips. Centered birds and plenty choke gets smoke.

Stan

Lot's of choke, lot's of smoke, hit 'em hard and down they go.........from crows to doves and clays and everything else.........

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
It only takes one pellet to break clay.

Sometimes. If you walk around on a target field, you'll pick up a surprising number of clays with one hole in them. Some with two. Very occasionally, 3. I don't think the guys who are shooting the top scores at the target games are counting on single pellet breaks. Especially not in American skeet, where if you don't go straight--especially with the gauges other than the .410--you aren't going to win.

Yeah, that is true, but you are really only inspecting whole clays. If you were looking for almost whole clays you'd probably find just as many that only show a hit or two on the broken edge. For skeet a cylinder bore works great but in the real world of hunting you are rarely presented those perfect shots at almost the same range time after time after time and in the clay sports, even though a guy isn't counting on chips whether he's a pro or a beginner, even chipped target counts as a hit and you get the same point as if it were smoked. In the game fields a shot that would chip clay and go down as a hit on the score card will more than likely just result in an unrecoverd crippled game bird. My point is that shooting clay is only one facet of shotgunning and for the most part an all around shotgun really does benefit a choked bore.

Well, you might find an "almost whole clay" with no holes at all in it. Problem is, you don't know how many holes there were in the part(s) that broke off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

clampdaddy,

The whole clays that I find that have two or three holes in them represent a FAILURE of the load/choke combination used to break the bird at the distance it was shot, or the ability of the shooter to place more than two or three pellets on it. PERIOD. Think how many more, that were hit by a couple/three pellets, broke when they hit the ground! I am not interested in pieces of clays with or without shot holes in them.

If I find an "almost whole clay" it proves nothing. I don't know if was broken in the air or when it hit the ground.

I think we're both agreeing, tho', that choke is important. Whatever the "game".

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tom Martin
Apparently Winchester didn't agree with Mr. Hoggson about the ability to break targets at 20 yards with a cylinder bore .410. During the production of the 101 O/U, Winchester changed from 0.005" constriction for skeet chokes in the .410 to cylinder bore (they did the same for 12, 20 and 28 gauges too). At skeet station 4, the target never gets closer to the shooter than 21 yards, and people still managed to shoot decent scores with the cylinder chokes. I personally prefer 0.007" of choke for my .410 skeet guns, but Winchester didn't ask me.

Tom, I know something about those cyl choked "skeet" guns. I've had a few. One was a 4-barrel set I bought from a competitive shooter. Included with purchase were two Purbaugh tubes in.....guess which "gauge"..... Those .410 tubes were obtained b/c of the the original owner's dissatisfaction with his .410 breaks - unexplained misses wreak havoc on the psyche. Today you will not find one top competitive shooter using .000 in the .410. For that matter they do not use .000 in 28 or 20, either, but that's another story.

Tom, I have gone to the trouble of doing the pattern work with various 2.5" 1/2 oz target loads (shotcups). Have you? At least 2/10 21 yd patterns from these otherwise unalteered .000 barrels will have a target-sized hole at pattern center. Repeat the test if you wish, or believe that WW could never have made a mistake.

As it happens WW's transition to .000 choke sections is quite germane to this thread. It occurred as a result of an industrial leader buying the notion that shotcups make constriction unnecessary. For several years these guns, mostly Japanese 101s and Mirokus, were somewhat popular. In the end the skeet world came to disagree. I can't say for sure, but I doubt anyone at WW/New Haven had done their homework on the matter

As it happens, this was not the only screw-up made by New-Haven (I imagine Olin-Kodensha just did what they were told). Graded 101s of the period were often poorly stocked with way too much figure in the wrist. Again, Tom, I am speaking from personal experience - having had to replace a Diamond grade stock. The replacement factory stock was, likewise, poorly laid out.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Between 1867 and 1923 the second Marquess of Ripon[Earl de Gray] Shot 556,815 head of game. The vast majority of this game was shot with with cylinder bored Purdey hammer guns [used as pairs or as trios].In this era the standard shot charge was 1 1/8 ozs and shot shell muzzle velocity was 1200 ft; per second approx. To my knowledge the shooting skills demonstrated in the field by the Marquess have never been surpased; regardless of todays availability of high velocity shells,overweight shot loads and heavily choked guns.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

556,815 head of game divided by 56 years = 9,943 head of game a year.

God must have been helping Lord Rippon with his addition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lord Ripon was indeed a fine shot, but though his total tally may not have been surpassed (his half million plus was not only birds but hares and rabbits as well), the tally for his last 24 full seasons have been surpassed. Sir Joseph Nickerson, from 1966 through 1988 accounted for 188,172 birds, an annual average of 7,841. Ripon's tally from 1899 through 1922 was 187,763 for an annual average of 7,823. For the last three seasons in that period Sir Joe used nothing but 28 bores and for the preceding fourteen seasons used only 20 bores.

Nickerson favored over and unders, matched trios, and on some favored a heavily choked first barrel in order to take the first bird approaching farther out, allowing the follow up shot to also be an incomer, not a crosser or going away shot. His second barrel was lightly choked. I would say this definitely surpasses Ripon, who, as you say used cylinder bore guns.

The better shot a man is, the better he can utilize choke, in an increasing proportion. Whatever Ripon did or did not do with his cylinder bore guns does not validate McIntosh's statement that choke is obsolete, due to today's highly advanced ammunition, IMO.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If true....They both must've had a heck of a game farm with lots of throwers.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.