April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Steve Nash, j7l2, Argo44, CJ Dawe, Tyler, 1 invisible), 445 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,213
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I'm not surprised.
Same as on the trap and skeet fields, the auto versus the over/under and so the battle rages!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last trip the guns I shot were were a 16ga at 7-4 and a 28ga at 7-4, both SxSs.

What I noticed is that after the second day my hands hurt and were fatigued from griping the guns while opening and closing them - not the arthritis kind of pain but the muscle kind. The weight was no problem. And while I am 6 foot and 195 pounds of rippling muscle I don't work out and have an office job and am 55 years old.

Best

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 07/19/10 08:26 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
What types of guns did you use and how well did they hold up??

Sidelock
Sidelock

391s, SBIIs and Cordobas and if you really want to practice as well as bundle or flock shoot Citoris and Silver Pigeons will do just fine. But in the evening you need to have a mate with the bird boys and either instruct them on how you want you longarm cleaned or show them. Typically they want to dip it in a solution and run it near a grinding wheel or brush. If you've volume shooting with doubles, disengage the auto-safety, ejectors and forget about the tube selector. You'll wear you thumb out on it.

If you want some ground truth on the number of birds, tell the bird boy to be conservative or find your best critic in the group and have him/her to talley birds for an hour to see what your rate is. But all the volume depends on the flow of birds. If their flight pattern doesn't really materialize early on, you are wasn't cartridges if you are trying to get on a board.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a friend who went to Argentina, he's a big SXS fan but for that volume of shooting he bought himself a Benelli Cordoba and while he thought it was ugly as sin, he was very pleased with how reliable it was and how it absorbed recoil so he didn't have to.
Another friend used a borrowed gun that didn't fit well and came home with a bleeding ulser on his shoulder.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you take and shoot your own guns, as I do, you should clean them yourself. No way would I trust the bird boys to clean and lube my guns, as amiable and helpful as they are, that is just a job I will always tend to myself. I find it relaxing, anyway, after three hours of frenetic shooting.

Good point about the tallying of kills. I check behind by man occasionally, for 100 birds, to see if his count matches mine. I have seen them hitting the counter button without even looking to see if the bird fell, just at the sound of the shot.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Treb I shot a Parker sixteen DHE one frame and an SKB 485 28 gauge with 28" barrels.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike how did you decide on that combination with all guns you have??
And did you shoot those two exclusively???

Sidelock
Sidelock

A combination of sentiment and experience. My first trip several of my companions shot the outfitter's guns. The automatic users had sore thumbs and shoulders. The Beretta 20 ga O/U users had sore shoulders from the sub 6 pound guns. I shot a Beretta 28 gauge with 30" barrels weighing 6-1/2 pounds and was in good shape at the end of the trip.

The Parker 16 has 32" barrels, ejectors, weighs 7-4, and choked 32 and 32 and it just seemed like a great application for the gun. The SKB 28 gauge was a SxS and plenty heavy.

And that is all I shot. I shot the 28 a little more because they kept running out of 16s and had to run to town to get more.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 07/20/10 04:11 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyone notice the glove advert on page 30 of the Orvis catalogue The Hunting Book Fall 2010 where Steve Marsden of Northern Ireland shot 10k rounds in 13 hours with a ratio of 77%? I wonder how many days he began but ceased due to low density flow?
His ratio sounds a bit high, but possible. On the average, that's a shot every 4.68 seconds and a downed dove every 6 seconds, which is doable(?) but for 13 hours? Maybe he did a great deal of bundle shooting??

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.