May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (FlyChamps, Perry M. Kissam), 1,080 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,659
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

dare i say it? nahh...nobody cares anyway....

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed,
your job here is to STFU and take notes on how its done the CORRECT (caps are for your benifit) way !

Great job Tony and Doug,the LC of yours looks like its just came out of the factory,perfect !

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice work....now it looks like I'm out of a job.

You will find a lot of things will affect the colors, ratios of bone wood, temp of water, charcoal size, quench temp, time at temp etc etc etc.

I started doing CCH about 10 years ago, took me about a year; lots of quenches and several dozen turn of the century books on Case Hardening to figure out what was happening.

I would take mild steel and surface grind it dead flat, then measure warpage and depth of case at different quench temps & water temps.

Right now I pretty much have the Winchester and Marlin colors down pat, still working on the Colt & Parker colors.

Have Fun

V/R

Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi, thanks for the comments. It's interesting to see how others do it. I'm quite new to this but very happy with how the greener came out. I'm doing the hammers and plates and forend metalwork on Wednesday...was thinking of bolting the plates to some 4mm plates to stop any warping..but not sure I need to.

Cheers
T

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Barrel Browner I'd also like to see that formula.

Cheers
T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tony--

Bolt the lock plates to your solid 4mm plates, providing they are completely flat lock plates using the appropriately shouldered bolts, with the appropriate holes drilled in the 4mm plates for attachment from existing holes in the lock plates.........then load and pack tightly in the crucible....you don't want them to move....at all....use caution......PLUS, the 4mm plates will act as heat sinks and collect the heat and increase the heat/temperature -(larger mass)- "that is maintained" for the lock plates throughout the process and stability as you quench, and the colors will also be improved as a result........

Most actions should be assembled when loaded in the crucible with special fixtures (that you make) bolted in place to make one solid firm unit, which retains heat better as a larger solid mass (less the internals of course), therefore cannot move and the colors are enhanced as a result ......the single mass unit retains heat much better than single small pieces by themselves.......problems occur if the parts are not properly secured in this fashion.....

Mike:

Thank you sir....your work is outstanding and speaks well of your talent and attention to detail.....

I started doing my own CCH about 25 years ago and I am always learning......like you.....it takes a lot of effort and practice runs with test pieces every time you change formula's....but it is fun......and rewarding......

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doug the sidelock (read backlock) plates are actually slightly curver up at the end so they'll be a little space at the back of these when bolted onto the plate...the majority of the plate will be flush but the ends will curl up a fraction...OK?

When I pack in then charcoal everything is tapped down solid it's like a single mass before it goes in...I thought that was the right thing to do to keep everything stable and I'm sure that helps with any warping/movement.

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

With work like this, emphasis seems mainly on color, when do we hear about the hardening part? The receiver was dead soft after annealing, what hardness readings did you get after this work? What is the depth of carbon absorption? Too little is no good, if too deep the receiver is prone to cracking.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was also wondering, what was the case depth you are getting?
Thanks,
Craig

Sidelock
Sidelock

Several years ago I took sample pieces that I had completed to a close friend who does military aircraft testing ....the parts were tested and showed 1.2-1.5 mm surface depth hardening and I was informed that all had passed mil spec. S-6090A which is the military aircraft spec for low carbon steel hardening.......and that is good enough for me.........

I have also hardened some aircraft parts over the years and these parts require testing and certification before return to service (paper trail from a certified testing lab).....color is not on the list of importance....depth and quality is.......these parts are magnafluxed and red dye tested as well, before certification showing any imperfections.......

Doug

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.