March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
pmoored Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I am having difficulty finding any information on my -

T. Page Wood
Double Rifle Side-By-Side
.577/.450 MH
28" Barrels

Markings -
On top of barrel rib -
T. Page Wood
29 Nicholas St
Bristol
Rear trigger ring -
No. 5xx
Left & right hammer plates -
T.P. Wood

Serial number is also on lower left mid-frame on inside of opened breech .
Underlever (Jones-type) back-action (?).
Hammers with bolted safeties (?).

I have found a FEW T. Page Wood SHOTGUNS
but NO side-by-side RIFLES .
I also have found a little bit of history on
Thomas Page Wood himself .

Does anyone have a T. Page Wood double SxS RIFLE ?
If so,
would you share information about yours (pictures?) ?

I would like to learn more about my rifle -
its history
possible year of manufacture
maker's history and workmanship details
possible range of value .

Links or information (& pictures) of others would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks !!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

T Page-Wood established his business in 1876 at 29 Nicholas Street, Bristol. One report states that the address was 35 Nicholas Street.

In about 1885 he opened branches at 13 Market Place, Frome, Somerset, and at 1 Westgate, Cardiff, Glamorganshire.

In about 1890 the address of the main business in Bristol was given as 26 High Street, but it may be that the 26 Nicholas Street shop was retained. The Frome branch closed, the Cardiff branch moved to 21 Castle Street, and new branches were opened at 39-40 Walcot Street, Bath, and 19 High Street, Shepton Mallet, Somerset.

In 1900 the firm started buying guns from Thomas Wild and Rowland Watson, others followed from time to time.

In about 1905 all the branches appear to have closed and the only address of the business was 26 St Nicholas Street (street re-named?).

In 1907 the business was registered as a limited company, T Page-Wood Ltd.

T Page-Wood had promoted themselves as "The Gun Makers of the West", and they acted in a wholesale as well as a retail capacity. They had agents in Malta, Cyprus and Canada. They made a folding aperture sight for shotguns, an elliptical aim corrector (which was a metal half circle mounted over the barrels in front of the fore-end), and a fore-end elevator (an enlarged fore-end which was clipped over the existing fore-end to discourage low shooting.

In about 1920 the company moved to 28 St Nicholas Street.

In 1924 the firm patented a shotgun cartridge with a small over-shot wad in a cone shaped case, perhaps this was thought to ease loading without impairing pattern quality.

In 1942 the company's premises were bombed and by 1955 they were trading at Old Park Hill, Park Row. At about this date it is thought that the company was sold to Sheldon Bush & Patent Shot Co Ltd, but reportedly in 1964 it traded as T Page-Wood Ltd at 8 Pipe Lane, off Colston Lane, Bristol, they were not recorded after 1964.

The firm sold cartridges under the names "Anti-Recoil Cartridge" (post 1920), "Anti-Recoil Economic Cartridge" (post 1920), "Bristol", "Climax Cartridge", "Page-Wood D S", "Page-Wood's Shield Cartridge", "T Page-Wood Second Quality" (Nobel Glasgow 16 bore post 1919) "Wildfowler", "Park Row", "Double Crimp", "Imperial Crown" and "Special .410".

Pete

pmoored Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Pete !

That's some great information and history on the T. Page Wood business !

Do you know where I can find any additional information to help indentify T. Page Wood double rifles ?
I have not been able to find any examples .

Thanks again for your help !!!

Pat

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pat,

Try asking on the Accurate Reloading double rifle forum. You might also try the the Nitroexpress forum. They both have a wider audience for double rifles.

Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.