April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Fudd, 1 invisible), 453 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,202
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lorne
I believe it was Oscar Wilde who said, "Nothing succeeds like excess."

(Oscar was generally considered to be an elegant.)

15,000 shots in four days is 3,750 shots a day. If we allow 4 hours to eat, sleep, relieve oneself, and brag, that leaves 1200 minutes to shoot those rounds (or 3.125 shots per minute for 20 hours each day for four days, better than a shot every 20 seconds). And . . . he also shot three elegants in his pajamas.

A shot every twenty seconds is slow shooting in Cordoba. And there is no way to shoot 20 hours a day, not enough daylight. I averaged one shell every fourteen seconds of shooting time my last trip, with a 20 gauge Beretta 687 SP II Sporting. I had to force myself to shoot slow just to get the time between shots down to that.

I would not want to shoot that much. I have found that 700-800 shells per three hour shoot is a good pace for me. No recoil problems from that number, and at the end of the three hour shoot I've had enough. Besides, it's about all the extra shells I can stand to pay for.

My averages run usually around 70% for the four days.

jOe, rats and cockroaches are God's creatures, too.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Nothing more than a disgraceful waste of Gods creatures.

Locust too are Gods creation.
Argentina is a world top ten producer of course grain who loses as much as a third of their crop to "pests". Is it better to let choldren go hungry than to eradicate a harmful parasite?

It seem like a perfect "have your course grain and eat it too" situation to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Nothing more than a disgraceful waste of Gods creatures.

I seem to remember a bragging photo posted here several months back with five or six dead turkeys in it, all killed the same day by "someone". It was justified by saying that it was well within the limit for his state. Well, there is no limit on eared doves in Cordoba. So, if the limit is what sets your ethics, is what's good for the goose not good for the gander?

Stan

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan:

Sounds like you need some shooting lession. One of longest clients is shooting in the low 90s and he is close to 80 years old

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess I do John. However, having been there and done that I have seen how these averages are compiled. Your bird boy is assigned to you for the duration and keeps up with your tally of downed birds. Some of these young men have their mind more on what their tip might be on the last day than an accurate number of kills, if you get my drift. I have even heard of percentages OVER ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!!! Because of that, I take hearsay kill percentages with a grain of salt. Understand, I am not discounting your clients' claim, no reason to doubt you, but advertising is different.

That said, I have considered next trip, God willing, shooting specifically FOR a high average by taking nothing but "crip" shots. I honestly believe I could top 90 percent by doing that. But, I work on tough shots, high birds (when there are some), trying to see just how far out I can down an incomer with my first barrel, things like that. I once was working on some very high right to left crossers and must have gone 10 or 15 straight, WITHOUT A HIT!

All my best, Stan

Sidelock
Sidelock

I eat the turkeys I kill.

Sidelock
Sidelock

joe: how about a little crow now and then?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, you stated what guns he used for that type of shooting, but what other guns would you suggest or know of that could hold up under that type of volume shooting or should I say that degree of pounding???

A Dentist friend of mine goes there with two Remington 1100, one for shooting the other for parts and destroys them both.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Treblig:

You asked about what kind of gun would hold up. None! Another friend took a brand new A & S gun down. Eight shots, ejector broke. The same fellow who did the high volume took a brand new McNaughton on a trip and craped out first day.

Now those two should have not craped out that soon. Maybe should have lasted at least to the end of the day.

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: arrieta2

Eight shots, ejector broke.

John

You don't need to go to Argentina to shoot eight times!

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.