April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, bushveld, 67galaxie, eeb), 745 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#181685 03/07/10 07:02 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

An elderly lady gave me an old double gun. It has shotgun barrels on it, but it appears more like a double rifle.Maybe the rifle barrels got lost. She said her husband was a physician and ended up in a German village behind the lines. They watched out for him and he took care of their medical needs until the war was over. They gave him this double as a gift of appreciation. It remained in their closet until she gave it to me.

It has a popup adjustable peep sight, adjustable triggers, rifle cartridge holder in the bottom of the butt,and is highly engraved. Hubertus is engraved on top of the receiver. It has boar, deer, and fowl engraved on it. The trigger guard, buttplate, and break open release is horn. The barrels are Krupp steel. Any hints to what I have?
Thanks Butch

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lefaucheux or Collath action of some type, possilby a Treff action(is "D.R.G.M. & Treff" atop the frame?). May have a grip safety. Immanuel Meffert had the trademark "Hubertus". Take some pics of the flats and post them especially the area from the flats to the forend lug.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I will have to post them later. My Grandsons used up our bandwidth playing games on the net. We are on the dish and they have us by our privates.
Thanks Butch

Sidelock
Sidelock

Butch,
I believe you have a Meffert. It should be marked "Hubertus Gewehr 32200". The various models (as of 1911) can be found on pg.353 of the "ARMS OF THE WORLD-1911" catalog -- a reprint of the ALFA catalog of 1911. There is no listing in that catalog of either cape guns or double rifles.
If the barrels have a 'doll-head extension', it is likely a higher grade. Good pictures of proof, and other marks, would be helpful.
Steve Helsley

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Some more photos

I hope these help. The last photo is the bottom of the butt stock and it is a cover for rifle cartridges, not 16ga. shotgun shells.
Thanks Butch

Sidelock
Sidelock

At first it's a little difficult to believe Meffert was still producing the Hubertus Gewehr 32200 in 1931, but here's proof. Any chance of a pic of the area between the proofmarks and the forend lug? I'd say it is a Treff action with the strikers contained in a metal block and that is why the cocking indicators are so far aft. With the cartridge trap and the German stecher - single set right trigger, I'd say there was a set of combo tubes. The triggerguard bow looks to be a grip safety. Nice depiction of Hubertus and a stag with a cross on the top of the receiver.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Raimey,
I hope these additional photos help. Oh, by the way it has 2 triggers. If you look close at the photo you can see the other at the back part of the trigger guard.

I really need to do these photos with out the flash and with a tripod.
Regards Butch

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's the pics. The Krupp tubes were sourced to Wilhelm Kelber and I'd guess Meffert finished it. For some reason, some like Axel Eichendorff(born just after WWII and lives there as a forester I believe) think the heart shaped "WK" notes that Wilhelm Kelber fitted the tubes. But until yet I don't subscribe to that thinking because I think it was more of a forge mark and that the script initials "WK" closer to the forend lug would note the fitting task. Take Louis Kelber for example. His forge mark is a an encircled(jagged) "K" and many tubes in Austria/Bohemia/Germany bear this mark. When he contributed additional effort, one sees the script initials "LK" closer to the forend lug. Why would Wilhelm use a reverse method in order to recieve compenstation?? Are there an initials on the tubes close to the lower rib near the forend lug? Yes, it has 2 triggers but the right one looks to be a single set. Push it forward and see if it sets.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Raimey,
I will check them closer tomorrow. My eyes are tired. All I can say is it looks to have been a very fine weapon.
Butch

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's an interesting double, kindly forwarded by Jani, that was peddled by R. Baumgarten in Bernburg but I'd bet it is a I. Meffert. Interesting "thing" on forend cap.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.