March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (fuhrmann, earlyriser), 694 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#19311 01/09/07 07:04 PM
dearmer Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Just curious who manafactured guns of the paradox type? A few I know of are:
Westley Richards- Explora and Fauneta
H&H- Paradox
Lancaster- Colindian
Cogswell and Harrison- Cosmos
Rigby- Ball and Shot?

Are there any others?

Thanks,
Josh

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

william evans made some. I have a very nice 12 bore super magnum made up by them. Holland style rachet chokes.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

May I ask a not to well informed question seing as the subject of paradox guns has been raised?

What happens when shot is fired through a paradox barrel? Does it spray all over the place? Or is the effect dependent on the size of the shot?

And what is polygon rifling? If there is such a thing.

The idea of the Paradox was to incorporate a full choke with the rifling. When shooting shot you end up with effectively an IC pattern.
Polygon rifling- imagine a bore shaped like an octagonal barrel (though it could be 4,5,6 or whatever sided) but the sides in this bore are twisted into a helix just like conventional rifling. I hope that makes sense, but it's one concept where a picture truly is worth a thousand words.

Dearmer-It would be easier to ask who didn't make a Paradox. It was a very popular item and after the Fosberry patent expired most everybody jumped on the band wagon.
In addition to the ones you mentioned, Bland-Vice Versa, Lang-Afrindia, A&N-Jungle Gun, Jeffery-Shikari, Pape-Rhodesia, Tolley-Ubique to name a few.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Polygon rifling......?

If it's a twisted barrel and not cut rifling in any way, what effect does that have on shot charges? Same as a paradox?

Simson, Charles Daly (?Sauer)

doublegunhq.com
Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns and Rifles

The term "Paradox" is a Holland and Holland trade mark, other makers have different names for the same type of barrel.

There is also such a thing as a "ball" gun. Having true cylinder smooth bores intended to fire a round ball fitted to the bores. I have seen such a gun, a 12 ga double, fitted with rifle sights and stocked like a rifle.

Now days we have slug barrels, often rifled. There is a rumor that Bernardelli made a double barreled slug gun in recent times.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave Weber has (or had) a side-by-side slug gun of European manufacture. He posted pictures of it and a deer he took with it a few years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Thomas Bland marked "Euoplia" for ball and shot engraved on the rib with no engaving on the sideplates as was usual with his guns it"s a 12G hammer SxS 2 3/4 chamber with dolls head lockup, still closes like a vault door that three of my pals used at 40 yds and all 6 slug shots were inside a macdonalds big gulp lid say 5 inchs diameter.
Nice gun, I will never sell it.
Martin

Last edited by bavarianbrit; 03/12/10 02:35 AM.

I have a Jeffery marked 'the Jungle Gun'. The rifling appears to be full lenght of the barrel, almost like raised pitting with a gentle twist. Unfortunately I have yet been able to shoot the gun as the barrels are in good condition, the rest of the gun is in poor condition- stock damaged, and top strap broken at the safety. If is one of my 'project' guns for this year.
Regards,
Charl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.