Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
George, you sure you aren't shooting woodpeckers or starlings? All the Eurasians I breasted out are substantially larger than any Mourning Dove and easily larger than Whitewings too.

All I can figure is that those Eurasians you are shooting must have come through Texas on their way to Arizona. You know those Texas birds will feed a hungry family of four!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lagopus, I have couple hunting videos about wood pegion shooting in UK and allways wonder why those pegions are so stupid to fly over decoys again and again. In our fields pegions usually sit on high trees and look into the fields very carefully, they got very sharp eyes. And when I shoot several pegions over decoys, they stop to fly over and change the place and I need to change place again and again. Maximum what I shot down was about 40 birds within couple hours, then all pegions about 3-4 hundred birds just flew away to the south, it was in fall.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geno
Wood pegion is the biggest one here. I got plenty of them near my cabin. Flight like lightning, real pleasure to shoot down one from the skies.

Pigeons are pigeons. Doves are doves. A pigeon is not a bigger version of a dove.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to stir the pot, but a pigeon is a 'rock dove' by every def I've ever seen. I'd say they are big tough doves. No offense meant, just a bit of clarification.

FWIW, squab [immature pigeon] eats as well as anything on the planet; they may even be the best tasting bird of them all. Squab are not game birds per se since they have yet to fly, but the taste is nonparriel for bird, IMHO.

Eating wise, even a mature mourning dove can be tough, so one should pay attention to whether or not the game bagged is young or old and prepare it accordingly for best results, at least that's been my finding.

I agree that the Euro dove are similar tasting to mourning dove and I detect no real dif if they are simply breasted and placed on the grill impaled w/ a bacon strip and sliced jalapeno.

kind regards, tw

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mother, in years long past, would have we two sons go down to the barn and rob the nests of squabs. Incredible dinner fare--the memories of those times are dimming but are always fondly recalled.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geno, sometimes wood pigeon just want to commit suicide and I have had them fly in when I have been putting out the decoys and in full view. Another time they will not come in and be spooked by the slightest thing and change direction as soon as they spot the gun being moved. Sometimes easy; sometimes just about impossible but that's what makes them challenging. I would say that they would not make videos showing those days when they won't come in. Lagopus.....

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.