May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (canvasback), 343 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,771
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#192426 06/14/10 04:00 PM
Rockdoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know that Brileys does a lot of barrel work but I'm wondering how they are for other gunsmith work. I have a French 16 gauge I like a lot that would be really hard to replace (hence pursuing a repair that would cost more then the gun is worth). Anyhow, the gun needs to have a new locking bolt (plate) made and fitted into the action. The one it has is not original and fits poorly causing the top lever to be way over to the left (even after I had the gun put back on face by Hugh Lomas in Elkhart Lake).
Also, if anyone knows any other gunsmiths in the Houston area that are equipped to do custom machine work and parts fitting I'd be interested in contacting them too. Like I said earlier, I realize the gun will cost more to repair then it's worth but it's really one of a kind (it fits me perfectly, it has 27" barrels, and only weighs 5 lbs).
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a negative experience with them on a Model 21 a thre years ago.

Single trigger issues, off face, ejector issues. I spent a lot of money ($2300) and they were six months longer getting the gun back to me than they told me.

I won't use them for general gunsmithing on doubles anymore. I would send them a gun if I wanted screw in chokes installed or chokes opened or chambers lengthened.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rockdoc:
I could add to what "AmarilloMike" has experienced with Briley. But I won't. Since you are in Texas, I strongly suggest that you call Kirk Merrington. He's near Kerrville now, but formerly of Churchills in the UK. And a man you can trust for such work without hesitation. I do.
His phone: 830.367.2937

Best, Kensal

APS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I will not even send them barrel work.

Sent a .410 Italian gunthat was full/full to be opened. On both the phone call in advance of sending and on the note enclosed with the gun was a instuction to call me and review prior proceeding with the work.

They opened it and sent it back- no call, no confirmation. Bad customer service.

al

APS #192443 06/14/10 05:54 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

Dustin Mounts is a superb shotgun gunsmith, Purdey's rep in the US. He's in the Galleria on Post Oaks, across parking lot N. of Oshman/Sports Authority. His # is 713-252-4146. Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

A 2nd for Kirk Merrington.

http://www.kirkmerrington.net/

Always looking for small bore Francotte SxS shotguns.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always used a local pawn shop to receive guns for me. They are friendly and always call me within a hour of receiving the guns.

A few years ago I won two high grade Parkers at the Julia auction and decided I'd better use Briley's to receive them. They arrived early Friday AM - I knew that from the tracking number. I called them around lunch and asked if I could come pick them up. I was told in a very lackadaisical 'Well, we receive a lot of guns and we don't know if those showed up yet or not.' I told them they had and politely suggested they get up off their ass and find them. I also pointed out that while they receive lots of guns, only a handful could be for FFL transfers - most are coming for for work and it won't matter if they don't get unboxed until the next day. I told them I needed the guns for a shoot that was the next day.

Finally, around 5PM I just drove there and coaxed them into giving me my guns so I could get them before the weekend. Never again.

So now I'm back the pawnshop with no complaints. They charge less, too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just to be clear, I've used Briley several times for interior barrel work. Never had any problems, always a quick turnaround.
But, the original question in this thread is not about interior barrel work.

Always looking for small bore Francotte SxS shotguns.
Sidelock
Sidelock

They do a lot of work that is not related to tubes and chokes. Reports cover the full range.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I might as well as my two cents worth. They mucked up a very nice pre war Merkel S x S 16 bore gun for me a few years back. Asked them in a phone call before hand if they could make and install a completely invisible fitted sleeve, rather like a choke tube, but fit and installed permanently and invisibly, to restore the left tube that only had a tiny bit of choke remaining from someone's opening the bores poorly before I bought the gun. Said "Sure, no problem, do it all the time, etc" so I sent them the gun. Again, it took six months longer than their promised turn time, and when it did arrive all they had done was thread the left tube and screw in an off the shelf choke tube with some lock-tite on it. It was in no way a custom fitted and invisible job. It was easily visible in the bore. Called them, argued my point, sent it back, and I'll cut it short here, but it required another six months and second return to finally get the job right. To be sure, they finally did a good job of what I originally asked for, but there apparently is a BIG disconnect between their sales department and the guys in the shop running the equipment. Poor, sloppy, almost non-existant customer service, and an elitist attitude on top of that as big as the State of Texas!! I'll NEVER go back. I don't go out of my way to post about them, but when someone pointedly asks about custom work, I'll reply.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.