Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just like Ed's torch jobs! Do you get it now?

Don.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Many a gun have I bid on just to keep it from being assaulted. I always feel bad if I fail.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mattie Ross: Aw, thats a big story. If you think you can cheat me,
youre mistaken. Youve not heard the last of Mattie Ross. You may
well hear from my lawyer, Daggett. [leaves]
Rooster Cogburn: [to LaBoeuf] Lawyer Daggett? Whos lawyer Daggett?
LaBoeuf: I wouldnt worry about him. Id worry about our business at
hand.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen, may I add my comments. Re-color hardening or what ever you wish to call it does not always come out as you would wish. That is an undeniable truth. However if ,as with any job ,it does not turn out well ,you do it again .

Sidelock
Sidelock

You suggesting Ed torch it again ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

"ANYTIME" a piece of steel is given a sudden quench from above its critical temperture there are risks involved. "IF" it is not given that sudden quench from above irs critical temperature it will not be hardened. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not dealing off the top of the deck. A 99.99% success ratio means little if your gun just happens to be that .01%. Anyone doing this work should honestly apprise a customer that there is a modicum of risk involved.
Running it through again won't help much if the problem should just happen to be a cracked frame, admittedly a rare occurance, but not totally unheard of either. It would be very interesting to know just what percentage were lost by the original makers on the "First" processing. Every time a piece of steel is Re-Heat Treated the risks grow.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

ah...a man of reason with some knowledge has surfaced... as for this particular receiver, please keep in mind that at no time was the metal heated to above its critical temperature. consequently, the original factory heat treating of this receiver was not altered... as for the percentage of loss in a factory heat treating environment, i would suggest that it was quite low. i figure the factory heat treating mechanics were working with the same specs every day and rarely made mistakes. compare that with the typical rehardening mechanic of today. due to the huge variety of different manufacturers products thrown at him, he probably says a little prayer and crosses his fingers each time he fires up the furnace; where 1400 to 1600 degrees F is required to bring the metal to above critical temperature. that is what is required for the bone charcoal rehardening/recoloring process to be effective. i gotta believe his percentage of loss is quite high...

Last edited by ed good; 06/02/10 08:15 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed Good, Pipes' views on the methodology of CCH and recommendations of harmless substitutes are well known here. It's too bad your search for protective coloration impells you to parrot his arguments in an attempt to deflect attention from or perhaps legitimize Landers' "process."

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

High heat, low heat....who cares, it still looks like crap. Have old Ed clean up the rest of gun but leave the original case colors alone. No original case color is better than the spotted mess I have seen in the pictures.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack I sure like the way you talk.

I figure bout now Mr.Ed is talking to his attorney about the parrot that pooped on his husky.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.