April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, WBLDon, LeFusil, 2 invisible), 806 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,834
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, a friend of mine at work decided to get a SxS and he decided on this one (In fact, he bought it):

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...erarchyId=11653

The ad states that it is a Sarasqueta, but in fact it's a Armas EGO. He was able to get Cabela's to give him the Makers Mark (JZ).

Anyway, he wants some info on it. While as most of you know, I do love my Spanish guns, I don't know much at all about this maker.

Can anyone shed some light on this maker and/or know what model his gun is?

Any comments would be great!!!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg,

Armas EGO is not part of the "golden six" of the Spanish gun makers (Arrizabalaga, AYA, Arrieta, Grulla, Garbi & Ugartechea; we may also include Kemen, but it is in a category of its own). They rather belong to the group of less pretigous makers like Zabala and others. Nevertheless they do produced some items of note, like double rifles. I have tried to contact them thru the internet with no results. They also repaired used guns. My impresion is that they are (were) good artisans sans good marketing and lacking a PR department. I fired a sidelock doble rifle from them here and impresed me well.

Regards,

EJSXS

Sidelock
Sidelock

The ad doesn't state it was a "Sarasqueta," it says it's a "J J Sarasqueta!" BIG difference. Victor Sarasqueta could arguably be added to the list of "golden six" Spanish makers (never heard that term before, no idea where it originated, maybe it's used in South America?) that ejsxs gives above. They were a fine maker, so fine that over the years the various kings of Spain issued royal warrants to their firm, and they earned and used the title "Gunmakers to The Kings."

Not so with J J Sarasqueta. They were a pretend wannabe cousin simply born with the same family name, and who attempted to cash in on it.

So, even if it turns out to be actually a "J J Sarasqueta," it's not really a "Sarasqueta" as that name is commonly known and accepeted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As was pointed out; VS made them with the best. Makers like Florentino Arizaga (EGO) was almost unknown in the US, but they did make some rather highend guns. They were well respected in the European market.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...oryId=SEARCH_gl

Last edited by Patriot USA; 05/29/10 11:41 AM.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

JJ Sarasqueta is a trade name for all practical purposes. Víctor Sarasqueta is a different thing alltogether, was a maker that went bust in 1981 and shared the top end market of Spanish guns with AYA and Ugartechea in the interwar period. In my view EGO (the name of a river in the Basque Country) should be considered as good as the best ones, the problem has been more of lack of marketing and PR. They are meant to be very good at repairing guns also, but I don´t know if they are still in business.

EJSXS

Sidelock
Sidelock

the only thing that jumps out at me is that cyl/ic choke combo with 27" tubes. do you think this flinte was ordered with barrel length to choice by herr kaiser roll or......? i sure would check out business end of them tubes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Respectfully, and with no offense intended, you are the victim of misinformation.

Victor Sarasqueta (VS) was the premier builder of shotguns and double rifles in Spain until the collapse of that industry in the 1980’s. VS was the standard to which the rest of the makers aspired. AyA was approaching the greatness of VS when the industry failed, and was one of the few companies that joined DIARM to be successfully restarted.

J.J. Sarasqueta was a small maker. Like all Spanish shotgun makers, J.J. Sarasqueta built shotguns to every price point at which money could be made – including top dollar guns. A ‘Best’ gun from J.J. Sarasqueta was the equal of a ‘Best’ gun from any of the other makers. J.J. Sarasqueta didn’t have any need to ‘cash in’ on his name; the quality of his guns spoke for him.

I have yet to be able to buy a J.J. Sarasqueta; his highest quality guns are scarce, and bring more dollars than I’ve cared to spend – so far.

Originally Posted By: ChiefShotguns
The ad doesn't state it was a "Sarasqueta," it says it's a "J J Sarasqueta!" BIG difference. Victor Sarasqueta could arguably be added to the list of "golden six" Spanish makers (never heard that term before, no idea where it originated, maybe it's used in South America?) that ejsxs gives above. They were a fine maker, so fine that over the years the various kings of Spain issued royal warrants to their firm, and they earned and used the title "Gunmakers to The Kings."

Not so with J J Sarasqueta. They were a pretend wannabe cousin simply born with the same family name, and who attempted to cash in on it.

So, even if it turns out to be actually a "J J Sarasqueta," it's not really a "Sarasqueta" as that name is commonly known and accepeted.

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, looks like this gun has gotton around. It was first listed in ME and then MI. The specs are also different on each of the listings. My buddy called and confirmed the chokes are M/F. Here BTW are the two listings for your reading enjoyment!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...oryId=SEARCH_gl

http://www.gunsinternational.com/JJ-Sarasqueta-SLE-12-Gauge.cfm?gun_id=100121547

Thanks also BTW for all the great feedback!! I'll pass it on!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Kyrie said +1

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi all, well my turn to jump in here. I'm going to take both sides of the fence here. I agree that Victor Uno is the one that all the other makers tried to emulate. His guns were the standard to go by. Even his price point guns (such as the ones imported by Stoeger) were good quality pieces. The workes who were employed by him and set out on their own to form their own firms (Union Armera....later Grulla) took with them the passion and dream to make guns as well as Victor. They did succeed in their efforts. I think the training and skills they got from V.S. was the key factor in their success.

Yes, as we all know there were those who jumped on the band wagon because of family connections i.e. Felex and JJ. In defense of Larry "ChiefShotguns" by and large their guns were not known as top drawer offerings in the trade. The price point guns seen over here are not the best. They run the gambit from good to poor. Most of the guns seen here were imported during the period of "Soft" Spanish steel. While this is a myth with regards to action and bbl steel, the internal parts were not hardened as they should have been. Many were just crude castings and poorly finished. But what does one expect from a cheap price point gun. The maker is going to give you a product for what you (the importer) is willing to pay. The outside cosmetics will look great, that's what the consumer wants. But then looks are deceiving.

One the other side of the coin, Kyrie is right also. The "other" Sarasquetas could and did produce some wonderful high grade guns. Some of which are better finished and fitted than some guns made by some British makers (low end BSA and Midland). Some of these guns are on par with the best of other famous Spanish makers. The problem is, you just don't see them over here, they're all in Europe. The better high grade guns when you do find them don't get second looks, because of the makers name. Almost any Spanish maker would make a gun to your specifications and price range. The down side to this is you'd have to go to Spain to do it. The smaller makers did not have the connections or money to do this on their own and the importers they did use were not interested in their high end guns. No market over here. This was the age of the repeater in the U.S.

The same can be said of the firms using the Arizaga name. Look at Gasper, again a low end maker (to be honest, I've never seen any of his high grade guns, and don't know if he made any). Eusebio Arizaga made custom/semi-custom gun that are of the highest quality. Yet when you hear of Arizaga, you think Gasper.

The Spanish gun trade is coming out of the cloud of the 60's and 70's and are no longer painted with the "season" gun (you know, use the gun one season, then throw it away) attitude. The guns coming out of Spain today are some of the finest in the world. Even guns offered by Zabala (who also makes some darn nice high grade guns) are good solid doubles that will give you years of good service.

So for me I can see both sides in this, both are right.

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.