May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jimmy W, Bret Adams, dogon, Drew Hause, Chantry, ClapperZapper), 320 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,414
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Greg I had a Spainish sidelock built by <AMR> a virtually unknown maker and it was one of the best shotguns I ever owned. The main spring on that sidelock was as thick as your fingers and the gun itself was as light as a feather and tough as nails.
You never know exactly what you are getting from Spain, but that one looks like a real beauty!!!
I think your friend did good!!!!

Greg, why didn't you buy it given your taste for Spainish sidelocks?? smile

gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi, well to be honest after buying that 16ga Grulla 209H and the Henry Atkin SLE my funds are tapped for guns! Besides, I'm not into 12ga guns, unless they are English.

Still, it does appear to be a nice gun.

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many years ago I looked at importing these guns but I was not please with what I saw, so I decided against it. I would not consider these a first quality gun by any means. Certainly not in the realm of AYA, Pedro A., Arrieta, Grulla, Garbi. I would consider these on par with the Ugartecha guns. I do know that somewhere I still have a catalog from them from the time I thought about importing them

Best

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know why some don't think Ugartechea can make guns with the the other best Spanish makers. I'll guarantee a $10,000 Uggie is as good as any other at that price.
I have a 119 that has as good or better engraving detail and coverage than many others that cost much more.
Or is it that Ugartechea still sells a lot of the 'lowly boxlocks, and the others don't, excepting Aya, giving the perception that 'our' guns are better. Ugartechea performs a great service to people who maybe can't afford a 'fancy' gun but want a good handling gun. Aya's boxlock costs twice what an Uggie Grade I does.
Wood? Any maker can get what ever wood you are willing to pay for; God makes it.
How many makers engrave the bottom of the receiver 'cheeks'? I have seen it on an Aya #1, a Purdey and Ugartechea 1030. The Ugartechea 119 today lists for $7600 new.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/displayimage.php?pid=6704&fullsize=1
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/displayimage.php?pid=6706&fullsize=1

Show me another NEW $7600 Spanish or any other that has as good engraving detail as that. Maybe I'm wrong; but show me.

Last edited by Patriot USA; 05/30/10 05:13 PM.

Don't sacrifice the future on the altar of today
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chief, I must wholeheartedly agree with you.

The only contact I have had with a J.J. Sarasqueta shotgun was when one blew up while a friend was hunting doves with it. He was fortunate that the piece of chamber that flew away did so without touching any parts of his anatomy.

It may be that JJ made some "best" guns (I have never even seen a photo of one), but..."For one swallow does not make a summer".
Don Víctor on the other hand was in another league altogether and I would bet JJ was/is cashing in on don Víctor's reputation (Spanish Royal Warrants included).

At least in the countries I know of in South America, the famed Sarasquetas were made by Don Víctor, the others are wannabes.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
gjw Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: arrieta2
Many years ago I looked at importing these guns but I was not please with what I saw, so I decided against it. I would not consider these a first quality gun by any means. Certainly not in the realm of AYA, Pedro A., Arrieta, Grulla, Garbi. I would consider these on par with the Ugartecha guns. I do know that somewhere I still have a catalog from them from the time I thought about importing them

Best

John Boyd

Hi John, Say if you could , would you expand on why you didn't import the EGO's? Just curious.

The Grulla shoots great BTW, just got back from shooting her. Thanks again for the great service and great gun!!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ugartechea 1000+ series made to order guns are very gamey with quality to match and I would not hesitate to get one. Much like with used Belgian or Italian guns when it comes to Spanish ones I want reputable well known name to come on the gun. I might miss some good deals out there, but....... with German or French ones risk of getting something sick is less likely smirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was not happy with the polishing of the bbls, the over all fit and finish, like the heading up of the stock to the reciver. Also the egraving was not well done. LAter, I did have a chance to see the inside of the sidelocks and it was not finished well.

There are lots of lower quality guns out there that work fine, just look at all the Turkish and Russian stuff

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.