March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
it it my understanding that the alloy formulas typically used over the years to produce rifle, handgun and shotgun frames or receivers, are quite different. hence, it would make since that the factory heat treating processes used for these various types of firearm frames and receivers would also be different? or to express it another way, what works for rifle receivers, is not the same as what works for handgun frames? and then there is the whole subject of shotgun receivers? anybody have any thoughts to share here? maybe we can start a new thread, as this one is gittin kinda old and stale....

Doug Turnbull has spent many years working out the appropriate case hardening techniques for the various alloys used by many manufacturers, He can give you Parker colors or Smith colors or Fox colors, or whatever else you are likely to need. They are all different and require different treatments. Some of those treatments are necessarily proprietary, but he has published on this topic and is probably worth some further reading. I have a Smith and a Parker that were case hardened and colored by Turnbull's shop, and they are both "correct" as far as I can tell. And neither of them is cracked or warped.

Turnbull is also somewhat renowned for his work on pistols, revolvers and rifles.

Last edited by Replacement; 05/27/10 10:14 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

as to turnbull's reputation... it has been my experience and observation that he is one of the few firearms refinishers whose work demands a high price come resale time. good thing, as he dont work cheap! a tip, if you have work done by turnbull, make sure you retain the receipt. without it, your gun is just another well refinished piece and not worth near as much as it would be with the turnbull provenance included.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tag teams? Kens vs. Eds? But we never hear from Ed L.? Hmm. You let Lander out for exercise, Ed? Take him for walks? Or does he just sit in that rocker at the window lookin stuffed?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

look at this fine example of case color.Notice all the birds eye torch marks.I must quess that ed's wife has taken up case color,as the poster is carolina girl.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=170866069

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi -

Speaking of case coloring...what can I do to "touch up" a small worn (pencil eraser sized) area on a case colored SxS? The top lever was pressed down on open and scraped the brown case coloring off leaving a shiny mark down to the bare metal. It's really bugging me. I don't need the whole receiver redone because it’s at 95%. Does anyone know of a repair kit or some way of covering/blending small areas?

Thanks, Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

To Ed.

I know virtually nothing about heat treatments, especially case coloring (well maybe more then you two), but to argue and degrade the likes of Mr. Hurst and Mr. Turnbull, you make yourself look like, well, Ed L's torch, a tool.

I'm glad you have a lawyer because you would be useless as one yourself. Your arguments supporting Ed L's work are asinine and outlandish. To even consider his work as anything close to factory colors is ridiculous. Please prove me wrong, and post some side-by-side pictures. But then again you would probably consider replacing the round headlights of a vintage Mustang with square ones as bringing it back to original.

“I have dealt with the public in a sales and marketing capacity for approximately 40 years now”

The only thing I do believe is that you have been a salesman for many years, and it must have been in used cars.

“please, be aware: ed lander has been a general gunsmith for over 60 years now!”

I thought he was a Master Gunsmith? I think your right, the only time, in your description of Ed L.

I hope Ed L. does not have a lawyer watching you!

Don.

Sidelock
Sidelock

dal: your post is so full of incorrect conclusions, that it is truly one of those that is just not worthy of a response. perhaps i am finally loosing my patience here. ed

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ed, your like Russell from the recent Survivor series. You just don't get it, do you?

Don.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only difference Russell should have won...and Ed's torch should have been put out 100 guns ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

juvenile and inappropriate....

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.