May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Themauserkid, Canvasback13, ohiochuck, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 354 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,533
Posts545,963
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocket - interesting. I was going back through my notes and see that most of the nice Ithaca barrels for which I have collected data show little or no parallel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The concept of the parallel "stabilizing" the shot doesn't make sense to me. The shot, seems to me, must be getting its sideways velocity after muzzle exit; there is very little room for sideways shot movement while within the confines of the barrels walls. The shot pellets are given a sideways push by springing off one another when there is suddenly no push from behind and no barrel wall to confine them such that they can relieve the pressure within the column. Also, the entrained air will expand and add a sideways "wind" to the muzzle exit forces. I can't see how a parallel will have any effect on any of this. It would be upstream and the pellets would have have "forgotten" about it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

valuable information contained in this post. thank you....have noticed 26" 20 gauge and 16 gauge savage made sterlingworths seem to have chokes that are 2 1/2" deep. what has been your experience?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember reading that at one time, Winchester used a reamer that was cut with a very wide radius and they used the same reamer to cut all the various chokes, simply running it through a bit farther, for more open chokes. There would be no parallel section. It was also stated that chokes with the more abrupt tapers would produce a desired choke with less constriction. This makes sense to me, as my favorite explanation of how choking works is by deflecting or accelerating the pellets inward, as they hit the constricted area. Something like hitting the rail at a shallow angle, on a pool table.
My experience with Lefevers(not extensive) is that they have all had tapers around 4" long, as 2P stated. To cut chokes with no parallel section, what could be simpler than using the same reamer for all, depending on how far it was run through, to give the desired constriction?
Teague chokes make a big deal of their "continuous taper", like they have invented something new.
Opening chokes with a reamer leaves a parallel section, length depending on how much constriction is removed. I have not observed this to be a problem. The resulting patterns seem to match what the finished constriction would suggest it should, regardless of how long the parallel section turns out to be. Theoretically, at least, if the parallel was long enough, the resulting patterns would be cylinder. I have not observed this. Like Miller, I believe a continuous taper, from chamber to muzzle, WOULD result in cylinder patterns. I remember reading that this was tried, in the early development of chokes for muzzle loaders, and the results were cylinder. In order for choke to work, it obviously needs some abruptness.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree...what you think Ed Good ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jim Legg
--- my favorite explanation of how choking works is by deflecting or accelerating the pellets inward, as they hit the constricted area. Something like hitting the rail at a shallow angle, on a pool table. If this were so, we would discuss the taper angle and not the constriction or taper length.

Opening chokes with a reamer leaves a parallel section, length depending on how much constriction is removed. I have not observed this to be a problem. The resulting patterns seem to match what the finished constriction would suggest it should, regardless of how long the parallel section turns out to be (within some fairly few inches limits, IMO). Theoretically, at least, if the parallel was long enough, the resulting patterns would be cylinder (I agree with this). I have not observed this. Like Miller, I believe a continuous taper, from chamber to muzzle, WOULD result in cylinder patterns (agree). I remember reading that this was tried, in the early development of chokes for muzzle loaders, and the results were cylinder. In order for choke to work, it obviously needs some abruptness. I have some unanswereed questions on taper angle. If not for the experience with the Hellis 7" full, I might agree. I think more importantly, short taper length is not a mark of poor workmanship or design. Short taper length seems to work just fine. But, I suspect you could get too short!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.