May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (dogon, Lloyd3, SKB, 1 invisible), 613 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,145
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

More meatheads mutilating fine old guns! Enough to make me sicker than the lukemia I've got. Chopper

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gunman
What kind of comic was that in? If the ribs are loose then any work can loosen them further. I've bored hundreds of chokes and never had it happen.

Thanks for the sarcastic reply, Richard. I don't read comic books anymore, and only wanted to know if reamer chatter could loosen ribs. I imagine that in all cases of rib solder joints coming loose, something causes the joint to fail. I suppose that could be anything from poor soldering, tinning, or fluxing to the stresses from firing. I have bored exactly zero chokes, but I would surmise that if "any work" can further loosen already loose ribs, then "any work" can loosen ribs that are not yet loose.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

CTroy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith: I thought it was me that worked his ire. I couldn't imagine what I had written to cause such a response. And Chopper, I do resent the 'meathead' response. Please don't start crying now. May I ask that those that rely on criticism alone refrain from posting in my thread. I'm getting very good advice and help here and someone chiming in with moronic posts just ruins it for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CTroy;
A bushing placed on the end of the reamer shank of a size to just be an easy sliding fit in the bore would keep the reamer in line. The lead taper on the flutes would center them as they made contact with the cone. I would not see a lead pilot as necessary for this purpose. If it was you would have to make a new one every cut. A good way to fit the bushing is after determining the needed size fit an oversize one to the reamer shank & then set the reamer between centers in a lathe for turning to the needed size.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have never done it, and don't plan on doing it myself.

But here is a clip of it being done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7YQf6YWLaM

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: chopperlump
More meatheads mutilating fine old guns! Enough to make me sicker than the lukemia I've got. Chopper

I too, resent your "meathead" remark. I do not consider what I do, to my OWN guns, "mutilating fine, old guns". I am making MY PROPERTY operate the way I want it to. What I do to MY OWN PROPERTY IS none of your damn business. You're welcome to do, or not do whatever you want, to your property. Allow me and others the same courtesy.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 05/19/10 01:14 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I should start off by stating that I strongly agree with Jim in that one can do with one's possessions whatever one wants.

Having clarified that -"butchering" one's Purdey or one's Crescent is only up to oneself- I would like opinions from the experts as to the following method:

Long wooden dowel with a cut at one end where you roll a piece of oiled sand paper (300 grit) and put some paper under it until it fits snugly when you insert it, from the chamber, into the choke area. With the dowel in an electric drill and while wrapping the end of the barrel with a wet cloth to "refrigerate" you go at it with care, adding pieces of paper under the lubricated abrasive.

Comments will be appreciated.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: floatinghat

I have never done it, and don't plan on doing it myself.

But here is a clip of it being done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7YQf6YWLaM

The video by Larry Potterfiedl referenced above, illustrates the method that I use and the straight type of reamers I use(commonly known in the trade as chucking reamers). Whilst good results can be had using the method, I would not attempt to ream 0.015" from a barrel in one reaming as illustrated by Potterfield in reaming the choke of the second barrel. My experience has been that one should ream 2 or 3 thousands of an inch at a time, up to the final 0.015". This, of course calls for a set of reamers numbering 10 or more per bore size of the gun (20 bore, 16 bore, 12 bore and so forth. However, one usually needs to finish the choke reaming with either lapping or honing.

Chucking reamers do not come from the manufacturer with a treaded hole in the back end of the reamer, but are soft enough on that end to allow drilling and tapping the hole using a lathe. Another point is that I have my pilot bushings placed on the reamer shaft with a collar on the reamer T handle shaft where the pilot bushing will not move up from the reamer shaft onto the T handle shaft during the reaming. Never turn the T handle counter clockwise after starting the reaming of a choke. It is a good idea to make up a set of reaming pilot bushings. I keep a 3/4 inch round bar of copper to make up a bushing quickly when I encounter a need for a size that I do not have.

I do not do a great deal of choke reaming, however if I did I would have a reamer manufacturer to make me a set of reamers with a two inch taper section at the front of the reamer with a two inch straight section following the taper.

One should also consider that reaming a choke from full choke to say 1/4 choke or cylinder bore will leave quite a long straight section of choke at the end of the barrel bore. Sometimes as long as 1 1/2 inches. Whilst this is not always an issue, it may become necessary to use a tapered reamer to shorten the long straight section in order to have the desired spread and pattern of shot.

For those of you interested in the art of patterning guns view the " A Look Inside Holland & Holland" video and watch Holland's master- Steve, work his magic with changing the patters and point of impact using ancient lapping methods and crude machinery. I need to ask Holland and Purdey's how many of their new guns are ordered with choke tubes. I suspect that in my life time that the majority of bespoke guns will be ordered with choke tubes and the art that Steve practices will fade into the past.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: chopperlump

Chopper I agree with Jim you shouldn't call him a meAthead....some guys juat like screwing up guns.

Hope you feel better Chopper.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: JayCee
I should start off by stating that I strongly agree with Jim in that one can do with one's possessions whatever one wants.

Agreed...it's Jims gun to screw up if he wants to.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.