March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (GeorgeGibbs505, DAM16SXS, 4 invisible), 861 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

So where does my 24 gauge fit in? I shoot either 3/4 or 7/8 ounces from it, mostly 7/8. Just splitting hairs......

Really, you can get quite a bit more energy on target with a 20 vs and 28 -- either more pellets of the same size or similar quantities of larger pellets, plus you can get more velocity within a given pressure limit with the larger bore. It all adds up to an effective range advantage as bores get larger. Go back and read some of the stuff by the Technoid (Bruce Buck), I think he talks about the handicap given to sporting clays shooters for the various gauges. You can also look at the class charts for NSSA skeet. Yeah sure lots of us shoot the 28 better than the 20 at skeet, I do, but the targets are close, and we're plenty well practiced. Anyway, small bores always boil down to less effective range for taking game or targets. I'd say a 28 costs 5 yards vs a 20, but most of us take our game no further than 30 yards, so the disadvantage is masked a bit. Some pattern and velocity(energy)testing would answer the question.

Don't kid yourself about 28's performing as well as 20's. Physically impossible. They are awfully pleasant to look at and shoot, though, depending on the individual gun. 28's a nice number, I like it, and I really want to shoot it well, so maybe that has something to do with it -- that and the fact I've gotten quite tired of looking at monotonous yellow shells. You can get more 28's in your pocket, too!

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I went back and edited my first post in order to emphasize that my opinion is based on my own experiences, nothing more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

try rst or polywad 7/8 ounce loads in your 12 bore. what a joy to shoot!

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those who claim that the 28 gauge will perform as well as a 20 gauge, or better, do so on the basis of the theory that the shot string produced by the 28 is more compact. This would not show up on the patterning board. If the shot string is shorter for the 28, more pellets arrive at the target at the same time and the killing effect is greater, despite the lesser quantity of shot out the barrel. Barrel design and choke have long been held to be a mysterious art. Personal experience has demonstrated that the 28 gauge can produce some very impressive results.

J.K.B. von Falkenhorst

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Parker VHE 20ga and I had a Parker Repro 28ga. Both guns were choked skeet/modified. The 28ga was a disappointment on desert quail using 3/4 oz loads and the dog had to run down too many cripples. But the 20ga,also with a 3/4 oz handload of 7s, kills these tough little birds dead in the air with very few cripples. The 20 appeared to me to have a more effective pattern with these loads. The 20 is also effective with the modified barrel and these light loads to 45+ yds on them. The 20ga with 1oz loads performed extremely well on South Dakota Pheasant, and with the 3/4oz load extremely well on Hungarian Partridge in Idaho. My comparison over a couple seasons and a couple hundred birds ended my desire to hunt with the 28ga.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How can the shotstring of the narrower bore be shorter? Educate me.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
theory that the shot string produced by the 28 is more compact

This is a "Myth" perpetrated by many but proven by none. If you put 3/4oz of shot down both 28 (.550") & 20 (.615") bores the column will be 20% shorter & have about 10½% less shot in contact with the bbl walls in the 20, both of which should result in less pellet deformation. I have yet to see a logical argument as to why a 28 should produce a "SHORTER SHOT STRING" in the air.
I once purchased the "Premier" issue of a new magazine devoted to shotguns. Contained in this issue was an article by a well known writer extolling the virtues of the 28. He based it mostly upon the "Square Load Theory" (Supposedly this results in a shorter shot string & better patterns) of the 28. He defined that Sq load as one in which the shot load equaled the wt of a round ball which fit the bore. (True definition of a "Square Load" is one in which the length of column in the bore is equal to it's dia) He correctly stated this round ball wt (in oz's) could be determined by dividing 16 by the gauge number & 16/28 ='d .57. He then Igonorantly stated this "Conclusively Proved" the 3/4oz load in the 28 made the "Perfect Square Load".
Now I'm just a TN Redneck HillBilly but I larned Decimal fractions enough Waaaay back in Grammer School to know that 3/4 = .75. Even though .57 & .75 contain the same two digits they're in different order & thus "They Ain't the Same".
So much for that Worthless Rag, never bought another.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just returned from a six day shoot on dove in Argentina. I used a 20 and a 28 and I was disappointed with the 28. Now given that the shells were number 7's in the 3/4 oz 28's and 7/8 oz 8's in the 20 you could argue that I'm comparing apples and oranges. The 20's modified choke compared well to the improved modified of the 28. The birds were not easy and most of the other shooters found the 20 gauge modified to be best. I love shooting the 28, but I'm beginning to think it is a great short range/skeet gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You know guys... there is an awful lot more to shotgunning than the size of the cartridge that slides in the chambers.

There are people who shoot a lightweight, small frame, petite game gun in 28 or 410 very well. They are damn few. Damn few.

At one of my favorite clubs, we have some fine small gauge shooters. They shoot our five stand course in all it's endless configurations VERY well. They also use TARGET shotguns, that you would hardly ever see on a dove or quail shoot.

The average field shooter, meaning probably a small gauge cartridge consumption of less than 5,000 per year, is much better served with a 20 than a 28.

You want to pay your dues and learn to shoot a light 28 well go right ahead. It's a daunting task. I'm not talking skeet targets with a tubed gun or an XS skeet gun. Try a real field 28 on REAL targets like a good SC setup and see how you do.

Experience and knowing ones own abilities helps with gun selection for an expensive hunt.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

What's all this malarkey about 3/4 oz loads?

The best load for a 28 are those Winchester Max loads with one ounce of shot. That way you get the light carry of a 28 with the punch of a 20, give or take a little.

I've hear all the conjecture about shot strings and bore scrubbing and animosity betwixt pellets.....it's all meaningless to the countless doves and quail that have fallen dead as a rock to the Max loads I've used.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.