Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep, they did. But since my only American SxS is a 20 gauge Fox Sterlingworth I just had to watch them do it again this year.

The shooting was great but I did a bunch of missing.

More vendors than I've seen before and lots of great fun - my wife enjoyed watching so much that she may now be looking for a 28 gauge SxS to go with the 20 gauge Beretta 303 that she's just learning to shoot.

Life is good - hope to see y'all there next year. In the meantime we'll see you at Pintal Point in September.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I attended for the first time and had a blast. Met a lot of guys I'd only known by email/phone plus many more for the first time. Next year I will be back.

Mike Covington

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cary,

I spotted your companion. The only comment that popped in my native North Carolinian brain was, wrong shoes girl. Open strapped platform shoes just don't work on gravel drives very well. I am glad she had fun.

Toby Barclay, Heritage Guns, was very happy with the show. He has a lot less luggage to return to the UK.

I did quite a bit of talking, trading and buying. I bought a nearly new Cogswell & Harrison 20 BLE Konor that sports stunning case color and delicate engraving. I also picked up an Alex Martin 12 BLE a W&S made screw grip gun for flurry shooting at the Vintage Cup this fall.

Our Carolina Vintager group is meeting at my house soon for our 2nd annual Frying and Lying dinner. The Frying is cooking up any remaining game you'd like to donate to the meal. The Lying is showing any gun you have purchased since the last event. We vote on the Best of Show. The winner gets bragging rights till next year. I suspect I'll get to see what everyone else bought at the Southern. I know there was a lot of purchasing going on, so I can't wait to see what the others picked up.

The only event that had me wondering was the CSMC 20 hammer event for American made guns. I can't recall ever seeing an America 20 hammer out playing.

Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a great time as usual.Many fine guns to admire, Lots of Fun at the practice 5 stands. There was good fellowship and food at the VA Vintager’s dinner.
Jent and his gracious wife Annie were Wonderful hosts At the Flame Restaurant. Only drawback for me was my new RBL 28 ga. was delivered on Friday while I was down there!

Cary Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You're right about the shoes Joe. I'd guess she was the most unlikely person at the shoot to have loved it. She already asked me about Pintail Point and has been eyeing my gun cabinet suspiciously. I think I'm about to lose a 16ga.

Sidelock
Sidelock

At this point I have, as have a few others, become a "fixture" at the Southern; but of all the years I've attended, I enjoyed this year the most. I recall attending the very first Southern in 2001; at which time Bill's dealer/exhibitor area consisted of a single 40' tent set up beside the clubhouse that contained about as many empty booths as were occupied. This year the entire area around, behind, and below the clubhouse was covered with tents and filled with dealers from all over the entire country; plus representatives from across the big pond. It is absolutely amazing to see how this thing has grown so large from its humble beginning, and just how well it is being supported. At this point in time I'm just a red-necked southern boy who has yet to experience the glamor and glitz of the Vintagers event; yet I can't count the numbers of Southern Side x Side attendees who have attended both events and commented to me how much more they enjoy the Southern. This year there were many folks who even commented that they beleive the Sputhern Side x Side may now be as large, or perhaps even larger than the Vintagers event. I certainly don't know, and don't really care; all I can tell anyone is that the Southern Side x Side can only be appreciated when it is attended. For those of us connected with the LCSCA and PGCA this event is equivalent to the annual "family reunion"; and the friendships and fellowship that have evolved as a result of the Challenge Event is truly unbelieveable. And we've always had some women attendees; but we had more women this year than in all the other years combbined it seemed; and they even had their own tent called "GRITS", Girls Really In To Shooting, and believe me when I tell you that these gals were there to have fun! We also had a fair number of young shooters in atttendance this year, to include several young women; and the kid on Team Parker was an absolute joy to watch! Without a doubt times are a bit tough for all of us these days, and attending events like the Southern can stress an already tight budget; but if there is only one shooting event each year that a guy and his family can attend, perhaps the Southern should be first on the list. So good shooting and we'll see ya'll there next April!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Went down from DC on a day trip, primarily to pick up my Darne 10 gauge from Geoffroy Gournet. It was back from the Bruchet shop with a new buttstock and St. Etienne proofmarks on the replacement barrels that Kirk Merrington fitted some years ago.

Will post photos and a report on shooting/handling once I get to the Prince Georges County range. Good news is that on mounting the gun I no longer see the entire length of barrel -- promising...

Found a nice atmosphere at Deep River with many, many serious dealers, including in accessories and footwear. Ordered a pair of digital ears. Saw many fine guns including two small bore Darnes. Lots of Parkers on display, and many English guns, not surprisingly mostly boxlocks. Only found RST selling ammunition. Had a good enough, quick lunch and a brief chat about African hunting. Then five hours drive back. Think next year I'll go for the whole thing.

Regards

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm with you TOPGUN --- just another Carolina redneck and proud of it !

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm glad Ron pushed me to get all the paperwork in order for the trip to allow me to bring my guns across, I had a great time. I met a lot of good people and made some new friends,.... saw and handled many great guns and even shot the big rifles, the .577 was quite exhilarating (I think I have a new found love).......had some good food , good scotch, and great weather, but first and foremost got to see first hand what southern hospitality is all about.

I took some time to go around Sunday morning and say goodbye but I notice that some had already left. So... Doug Mann, Glenn Fewless and Dennis Potter..It was my pleasure to finally meet ya'll

Murphy,..don't get caught with those shells in a duck blind!

Look forward to next year

All best

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD
Don't know about Smiths or Parkers but here is a straight hand 5E 20 ga. Ithaca that sold.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.