May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (FelixD, DSchrank, Licensed to kill, ClapperZapper, azgreg, 2 invisible), 393 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,793
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Turkey Season should in full swing around the country. What's going on? Details and pics appreciated. jOe and Buster should have them stacked like cordwood by now.
Slow 1st. season in Northern Michigan. Toms all hen'd up and not responding or coming to the call. Few birds to be found. Bird I got was taken on a belly crawl and an ambush. Called this tom and his three hens twice early in the week and he turned tail and took his hens in the other direction. LC Specialty, 12ga.,M/M, SuperX #4's, 1 1/4oz,Paper. Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice work Randy!

I'm intrigued by that buttstock - can you post close-ups of it?

Dean

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good going, the L.C. needs to have better pictures. Looks like a pretty gun. Oh, nice bird as well. LOL I have my fowler flinter completed now, patterned and ready to hunt. I have only been hunting mushrooms though as I look and listen for birds. I have not seen or heard any.......yet.

RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dean, Thanks for the note. Attached view of the buttstock on the LC as requested. My budget seems to only handle guns with issues and most come with cut stocks. Brother Glen, designs and builds the buttstock extensions such as this one. I love the radiused style the best. This one is of a maple burl, but any wood is available. If you send me your email address, I send pics of some very creative and functional buttstock extensions he has built. Some are with ebony inlays and floral carvings. raven@freeway.net
Dave, Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. I'll be down in Bremen the weekend of August 20 for the 45 reunion and maybe get a chance to meet up and maybe shoot some clays if a club is open Friday evening. Good luck with the flinter. Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

So, I am sitting in the pop-up with my brother. 3 hens come out into the field, they pick, and then dust, and just in general, be hens.
Gobbler comes out struts and dances for a while, looks pretty good from 100 yards. Thick beard, but not an old bird. Then a much bigger bird comes out, whoops his butt, and takes the hens. The failed suitor runs right down the field to our decoy. Paul pops him at 15 yards. At the shot, and while the vanquished lay expiring, the Big Tom runs down the field and commences to sodomize his dying rival. After 10 minutes or so of quite a ruthless despoiling, the Big Tom was exhausted and triumphant. As he turned to retire back to his hens, I sent him to the promised land. 9" beard, 25lbs. Paul's has 3 beards, the longest about 7 inches. 22lbs
Neither had real long hooks, both about 1", one set white, the other's black.

The whole thing took about 2 hours. No calls were involved in this brief, but successful, hunt.

Out there doing it best I can.
RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Clapper, great hunt. What guns and loads????

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quality photos RMC and a great hunt story Clapper.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

Paul used a Nitro Special with 30" barrels and an otc load, Remmington shell I think, (Like shooting ping pong balls at 20 yds).
I was using one of my Ithaca Goose guns. 32 XF and F, with 1.25 slow (maybe 1150), 5s' and 6's. Basically a pheasant load.
I wasn't intending to go out, but he called me. It really wasn't much of a hunt, but rather just a shoot. I prefer to be eyeball to eyeball, whether duck, goose, or turkey.
I took some pics with Paul's camera during the ..."Assault". I've never seen that before. If it's not too tawdry, I might have him email me a couple pics.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll bite. The photos are of poor quality, but on opening day, my oldest son got a nice tom with an old Valmet 20 gauge and B&P #5 shells. I got a somewhat smaller bird later that day with a 1910 LC Smith 00 12gauge.

Yesterday, my 8y/o took a nice bird with an 1909 LC Smith 2E 20 gauge. It hung up for 1-1/2 hours and the boy was fidgeting just like a boy his age is prone to. When it came time to shoot I whispered to shoot, he put the gun up, put it down and said, "really I can shoot?" I whispered back encouragement and he dropped it like a bad habit. Any turkey stupid enough to stand for that type of foolishness two weeks into the season ought to be culled.

Rob.

Last edited by Fishnfowler; 04/26/10 10:54 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damn, but you have some HANDSOME birds there!

I get to go out again starting on Wednesday. It is getting late and very overgrown now, but my second tag gets hot Wednesday at dawn.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.