April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (ClapperZapper, welder, bigblock, Hoot4570, 1 invisible), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, fnb, I've never seen a formula for recoil that takes acceleration into account. The guys that go by "you have to be able to measure it" haven't plugged that factor into any formula I'm aware of. Now I'm willing to accept that acceleration may indeed matter. And in fact, if the "less felt recoil" stuff is true, it's got to be as a result of something other than just ejecta weight, because there's always more of the slower burning stuff (assuming it really does recoil less) than there is of the faster burning stuff. But assuming said difference is MEASURABLE rather than just FELT (which is subjective), then there's got to be a formula to calculate it . . . right? Do you have one?

Last edited by L. Brown; 04/20/10 07:55 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whoa . . . I just had an epiphany in the shower. No, I didn't shout "Eureka!", and I'm not Archimedes. But here goes:

The powders Alliant says will produce less felt recoil (than Red Dot)--Green Dot and American Select--both require a heavier powder charge. On average, around 10% heavier, for a given load. You burn more powder, you buy more powder. Alliant sells more powder, Alliant makes more money. And making more money is a good reason to tout one of their powders over another.

Of course that does leave us with one question: Faster powder=lighter charge=less powder sold=less money for IMI? What are those crazy Brits up to?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Watch their lips: if they move, they're lying. More powder-same payload and velocity = more recoil, both true and perceived.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
And in fact, if the "less felt recoil" stuff is true, it's got to be as a result of something other than just ejecta weight, because there's always more of the slower burning stuff (assuming it really does recoil less) than there is of the faster burning stuff.

Well now this has been more "Fun Than a Barrel of Monkeys", more than I've had in a "Coon's Age". It has been absolutely amazing to see just how far Larry will jump around rather than admit "HIS SHINING STAR" just may have had a Tarnished Point. Now indeed ""If the less felt recoil stuff is true"" then ""EVERYONE"", including Alliant' as has been aptly shown, "EXCEPT YOU & THOMAS" agree the push is easier than the punch.
To have spent some time in the propangda field you certainly seem to have a total lack of understanding of advertizing
"You don't target YOUR OWN products with an ad; you target the other guy's."
I just pointed out to you Larry via a direct word for word quote how Alliant promoted American Select on its introduction. There had indeed been a time frame where RD was about the only game in town for 12ga target loads & certainly this accounted for its wide spread use & many of its 100 straights. Times though were a'changing. New powders were being &/or had been introduced with burn rates very close to Red Dot, many of which had been receiving rave reviews in the gun rags. When GD had been introduced this big thing about "Felt Recoil" had not really received a lot of attention & it had not really been pushed as a reason for switching from RD to GD. GD had been brought out to give more or less identical performance at an acceptable pressure level using the newer compression formed hull in conjunction with one piece plastic wadding as RD had enjoyed throughout the paper hull with card & filler wad days. Certainly there was incentive for Alliant to promote it against a whole class of powders of similar chracteristics which even included their own Red Dot. With your background in "Propangda" though Larry you should be the one "Explaining This to Me" rather than the one catagorically denying it. I do realize of course to do so "Knocks your Idol off his Pedastal" as it directly opposes his view.
Quote:
there's always more of the slower burning stuff

This is of course not an absolute given. Back when I began reloading in the late 50's a 3DE- 1 1/8oz load with "Both" Red Dot & Unique was listed as a charge wt of 23gr's. The oldest manual I have with any pressure data (LUP) is dated 1963 & still using paper hulls & card & fiber wads shows these exact charges. The Red Dot load had a MV over the first 15 Ft of travel 27 fps faster than the Unique load, but at a cost of 1450 more PSI. The RD load already exceed 10K & this measured in LUP's. The big switch in more efficient components during the 60's had actually moved the best range of RD from 1-1 1/8oz to the position of 7/8-1oz with GD taking its place for the 1 1/8oz load. But guess What, This bit of ""Felt Recoil"" had not yet reard its Ugly Head & caught widespread atention. An Alliant manual of Just 1 yr earlier than the one introducing AS did not even mention recoil at all in relation to any powder. It was apparently just assumed (Yeah that word again) that folks would relate recoil to the wt of the gun versus the delivered balistics, not how fast the powder did or didn't burn. As by the mid 90's this term of Felt Recoil was gaing acceptance the time was certainly ripe for for the introduction of a new powder (Listed & priced as a premium one) designed for "Less Felt Recoil" & also Better Patterns due to its ""SLOWER"" burn rate, thus they devoted two pages of this '96 manual to it. Burn rate is nearly identical to Green Dot so obiviously was not in comparsion to it. They merely aded the word "Soft Recoil" to the remarks section of that powder. As it had a "Faster" burn rate than Unique, Herco or Blue Dot, that couldn't be the comparsion as they emphatically stated it was due to its ""Slower"" burn. That leaves only Red Dot & Bullseye. In the realm of shotgun propellants Bullseye had just barely begun to be listed & only in loads of 1oz @ 1200fps or lighter, so could not by any stretch of the imagination be considered a "Typical Fast Burning Powder" for use in target loaded shotshells in 1996. No Larry, Red Dot & those powders of a like burn rate by competitors were what the comparison was to, there is simply too much evidence here to deny what Alliant was referring to. If you would just forget everything Thomas said on this subject & carefully analyse this from a viewpoit relating to your "Expertise" in Propangda you will I believe have to agree that virtually every thing I have said is totally true. I have in fact given direct quotes for the meat of it, with little left to opinion.
""IF"" you want to simply refuse to accept facts because they differ from Thomas there is simply nothing left to say.
All of this doesn't even address whether or not a difference is in reality feelable, but simply to point out the obvious that Thoms & Alliant took an opposite viewpoint on what they stated to be the cause.

Last edited by 2-piper; 04/20/10 12:05 PM. Reason: correct typos

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

http://kwk.us/recoil.html has a calculator that outputs recoil momentum, velocity, and energy. It give a discourse on the formulas used, including the effect of the escaping gas velocity, and how to estimate gas velocity. You can choose which gas velocity to input either directly or as a factor that multiplies the charge weight.

Peak recoil acceleration is discussed and dismissed as happening within a few hundredths of an inch movement. Example, a .308 Win and .300 Wby have about the same peak acceleration, but much different recoil overall.

Recoil sharpness due to the gun reaching full speed in less time is considered, but does not seem to be the answer.

A method developed by John Barsness is also considered.

Rifle recoil is the main subject at this site.

A shotgun site with formulas is http://zknives.com/bali/brcstgn.shtml . Takes a little work to understand the math. I see this site uses 1.5 times the muzzle velocity for charge velocity.

Last edited by J. Hall; 04/20/10 01:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What crap! What is there to not understand about impulse and momentum? ACCELERATION RATES PEOPLE!!

Faster burn = Steeper pressure curve = Higher rate of acceleration

Just like I mentioned before, a quick thump vs a not so quick thump.

Seems like everything besides the phase of the moon has been added to this and the simple fact is the only aspect that has any bearing is the rate of acceleration.

I guess the problem with grammar and spelling here is really of minor consequence considering the general denial of usually accepted laws of physics.

WtS

PS - you all left out paper base wads vs plastic base wads vs paper hulls vs one piece plastic hulls. Not to mention primer brand and rolled or 5 or 6 fold crimps. And I thot you were serious about resolving this.

BTW - Win AA handicaps kick like a MF'er compared to Gold Medals and the AA has this teeny tiny little charge of ball powder. OH WAIT!! - a low mass powder charge kicks less. I better get this off to Win so they can use it in their adverts.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

"BTW - Win AA handicaps kick like a MF'er compared to Gold Medals and the AA has this teeny tiny little charge of ball powder. OH WAIT!! - a low mass powder charge kicks less. I better get this off to Win so they can use it in their adverts."

And what are the velocities of the Gold Medals, compared to the Win AA handicap MF'ers?

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

They are both ATA 3dr max handicap loads.

I still have nine boxes of the AA's left in a flat that I won at a shoot in Fresno about 15 yrs ago. Maybe someday I'll use them for pigeons since I will most certainly never use them for ATA.

Even the GM 3 1/4 - 1 1/4 factory pigeon loads are easier than the AA's.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with burn rates tho.

over and out

WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Seems we've come full circle....recent comments are now as silly as the original quote.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"They are both ATA 3dr max handicap loads."

And the velocities are?????

> Jim Legg <

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.