Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recently managed to purchase this Schutzen rifle out-of-the-woodwork.
The overall length is approx. 50" and the weight is about 12lbs.
The barrel is marked Otto Zettlinger on the right side.
The barrel is marked Eichstatt Bayern on the left side.
The drop block appears to be marked "SYST AYDT".
I'm guessing the caliber is 8.15 X 46 or therabouts but I will do a chamber cast to verify this.
The overall condition of this rifle is truly excellent.
I would appreciate any information my fellow forum members can provide.
I will try to take some better pictures as the light isn't great right now because the engraving and workmanship on this rifle is exceptional.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,'

Could that be a System Aydt? It was an action that Scheutzens were built on and some had those twin levers. I passed one up a few years back because I wasn't sure what it was, wish I had known then what I know now.

Google System Aydt rifle, lots of info.

Might want to post this in the Single Shot/Custom forum.

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, it is a Original System Aydt and I'd guess made by Bruno Anschütz. Otto probably peddled if from(copy & paste) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichst%C3%A4tt (Eichstätt, Germany). Pull the pin in the forend and see what the stamps are on the underside of the tube which will be something like "7.6/46" "B.A." "serial number" & "data code". There may be an encircled large "A" over "B" on the top of the barrel for Bruno Anschütz. Neat that it has the case for the aperture. Usually the tube length is in interger mm. The stock looks to be typical Tyrolean.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rob & Raimey:
Thanks for the quick responses. I will be digging into this more over the next few days as It's going to be a learning expeience for me. I appreciate any information that anyone can provide. My pictures don't do this rifle justice as the engraving is truly a sight to behold!
One problem I'm having is getting those two intercepting "levers" on the left side of the receiver to lock back up properly. I moved them and now the lower one won't go all the way back into position(see photo).

I pulled the forearm and this is what is stamped on the barrel:
*BLG 11mm running with the barrel on the bottom
*Crown N Nitro on the left side of the barrel

These are the addl. marks on the bottom of the barrel:

*Crown over E above Crown over I? (very small and this is what they appear to be.)
*Crown over G
*7.6mm

These are all the markings I can find and I try to take some pics. later
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 04/15/10 07:55 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

How about "BLG 11gr" for 11 gram lead projectile? "Crown" over "E" for express sounds odd. Is there a dot between "625"? Probably proofed in June 1925. They are a joy to shoot and usually are pretty simple to disassemble. Sometimes it takes a firm push to latch. With 7.6mm it may be a tight set of rifling but there are some schools of thought out there that suggest that a lead bullet will span down the diameter range.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I took a picture Raimey and that may clear things up.
Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a group at Ben Averey that can tell you all about it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well indeed is was Express proofed. "Crown" over "U" is the stamp below that. Proofed as #846 in June 1925. There many be a marker's mark right up at the frame. Very nice example by the way and I would suspect the maker would want his stamp on it somewhere. If the breech block is stamped say "Syst. Aydt D.R. Pat." or "Original Syst. Aydt" and there is a serial number below that then Haenel made it. If there isn't a serial number either Haenel provided the frame or Haenel had enough work that they were churning out the frames and thru caution to the wind regarding serialization.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the system Aydt with the external extractor. The caliber will be 8.15x46R (very simular to the american 32-40). It was designed strictly as an off hand 200 meter target rifle. In Germany, you can purchase swaged bullets easily. In the USA you have to cast your own(the correct bullets molds are avialible from NEI, see there mold .318-175 #86A). This is known as a stop ring bullet. It is loaded into the case with your fingers until the "stop ring" stops it from going in deeper.
The 7.6mm refers to the bore, not grove diameter.

What got my attention is the case for the site. That is more rare than the rifle.

Hope you have a lot of fun with this one.

Scott

James M Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here's a couple of closeups ot part of the receiver engraving.
First one is right side second is left:
Jim

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.