May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Karl Graebner, eeb, Kolar Dickson), 666 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,601
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

George,
Thanks for sharing. These old girls a few and far between. I would like to note the weight of the gun and the barrels when shes back together.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CBL1, do you have any idea when the last Eley four bore shells were manufactured? Maybe they are still being manufactured, but I don't know. I have a recent gunbroker offer of a beautiful box of Eley fours. They didn't sell in the auction that I recorded, but they have probably sold since. At $65.00 apiece, that would be $1625 plus the price of the empty box.

Last edited by eightbore; 03/03/10 09:17 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I may be wrong, but I think Eley stopped production of eight and four bore cartridges in the 1980's and they don't manufacture them anymore. Bonhams sold 49 4 bore cartridges for £750 or $1,200 or thereabouts in July 09 (Forty-nine 4-bore cartridges, including forty-three cartridges by Eley-Kynoch in their original cardboard cartons along with one by Eley Bros and 5 reloaded cartridges). $65 a cartridge therefore does strike me as pricey.

Alan Myers, here in the UK, makes new 4 and 8 bore cartridges to special order, but I have a sense the price is considerable. Again - happy to be proven wrong here - but I thought they were getting on for £25 each new, or £500 per box. I saw a couple of boxes next to a brand new H&H 4 bore recently at their shooting ground here in London.

PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

CBL1,
Is there a source for 4 bore plastic cases in the UK?

Sidelock
Sidelock

PM - not sure, but Markethunter on here may be able to provide further input. The usual solution I have seen in the past is the use of 4 bore brass cases, which I think can still be made to special order.

Also try dropping a line to "Double Four" who is a new member on here from the UK; has posted only on this thread, but is real expert/afficinado on the big bores and uses a double four on the foreshore.

Craig

Postscript - try this; http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/page7.html

Last edited by CBL1; 03/03/10 02:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Eley stopped making them in the early 80's for sure, though they do still seem to turn up occasionally but big prices are asked.

The Alan Myers shells are very expensive as CBL says, plus there's no way to get them over here without breaking the shipping laws. I've shot geese with Alan and visited his shop, he's one of the leading experts on big bore shotguns in the UK.

At one time he sold all plastic 4 bore cases for reloading but I've been told that he no longer does. I've not spoken with him in quite awhile so have no idea really, that's just what I heard.

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

George,

I have a very close friend who owns and operates a production machine shop with several CNC machines that he uses to make large runs of parts out of aluminum, steel and brass rods of all sizes. Want me to ask him what he would charge a "friend of a friend" to write a program and turn out a batch of all brass 4 bore cases?

I think he would do it, especially if he could do it sometime when one of the machines isn't running. He's a double gun nut, too.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan: That would be great if I can afford them. I have two brass 4 bore cases that I bought from John Farugia, of Cheshire Gun Room, Stockport, in England if he needs one for a model. I do plan to shoot the thing once it's done.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Be sure and take a chamber case before you go to much trouble. Four bore chambers aren't usually standard sizes, they vary a lot.

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Sidelock
Sidelock

I talked with my friend and he said that those cases are "cold headed". That is, formed cold under great pressure with a die, so that there is no material waste. He said if he were to machine them the material cost alone would be from $2-$3 each. Before any machining was done. He seemed to think it cost prohibitive. If you're still interested I'll talk to him some more about it.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.