May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 516 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,560
Posts546,321
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

All I know is that it happened yesterday, I have no idea where or the circumstance. I ask for more info. Hope no one was hurt.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

It happened to Harold Itchkawich's .32-40 Winchester Hi-Wall this past weekend. Possibly double charged with 31 gr of H-108,

Zoom in on the top photo and look at the markings just ahead of the break. There is a "3" and then another figure. I'd be interested to know what that figure means.

Brent
I should had that his thumb and figures got a few cuts (note the antler palm rest). But a chunk went through a ceiling, insulation, and tin roof.

Last edited by BrentD; 03/01/10 04:23 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Possibly double charged with 31 gr of H-108,

More like 31 grains Bullseye!

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's why I want to know what that barrel marking is.

_________

WJL Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The failure of the barrel looks like a clean fracture with almost no sign of elastic give. A barrel shouldn't fail like that. Is it the original or a modern barrel?

Jerry Liles

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry, I cannot answer your question. But I do have a hypothesis. That is why I want to know about the symbol on the breech end. It might be the key, but I hope to find out from the owner - assuming that he had the barrel put on it. I am pretty sure it is not original.

Brent

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm sure a lot of us would like to know what happened if for no other reason then to keep from doing the same thing. I was shooting my 38-72 one day and someone kept asking me question and I doubled charged the case. When I fired it sounded like an 30-06, luckily I was shooting a Sharps Borchardt. Before this I would have thought that a high-wall would have stood a double charge as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A lot depends upon the barrel and its strength in the area of the chamber and threads. A weak barrel that splits or shears will frequently cause a split or actual shattering of the receiver ring. A few years ago a new Sako bolt rifle (long action IIRC) let go, it was quite a shock to the industry at the time. The investigation revealed no fault in the action but rather a longitudinal fault in the barrel steel, allowing the force of the split barrel to destroy the receiver ring.

We saw a photo of a catastrophic blowup of a high wall on another thread here, I believe. In that case it was obvious that the barrel had split on its bottom side and then lifted the top off the receiver ring; the high wall receiver has a somewhat thinner area along the inside bottom portion of the ring and this is where the split began in both barrel and receiver in that case. I'd like to see closeups of this latest blowup to see if it's at all similar.

John Buhmiller didn't have that problem with his high wall blowup attempts but he used barrels made of modern high-strength steel.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am told that the owner pulled the bullets on the left over ammo and found several double charges of about 31 grains of H108. I don't have any history with H108 so have no idea what that charge is.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some older (often modified) Schuetzen rifles have been rebarrelled with barrels made of mild steel. I seem to recall the name 'Stressproof' or similar, referring to barrels originally intended for muzzleloaders but often used in the past for CF blackpowder cartridges as well. Repeated failures with this type steel have led to its abandonment by knowledgeable shooters but there are still plenty of 'em left out there. Many original early smokeless-powder barrels also fall into this category, that is, a mild steel that's only marginal in strength.

Remember Murphy: if it CAN go wrong, then it WILL go wrong!
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.