May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Lloyd3, Roundsworth, 3 invisible), 299 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,071
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have no drawing board, Dustin.
You win. If you think it's a Best Gun, it is.
I'll be quiet now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

So until the next time someone asks this oft repeated question peace returns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I find it hard to believe that anyone with half a brain takes this crap about "Best Guns" seriously. A bit of Brit snobbery and marketing hype. Reminds me of the time I was looking at a gun in one of the London dealers. The salesman described it as " a good honest gun". I only smiled politely but I was thinking " what the f#*k does that mean?". I can see what it is. It's an inanimate object made of steel and wood. If he had said it was a "Best" I would have been thinking " best for what" Luckily I've arrived at a time in life when I know a good shotgun from a dud. Good ones come from a lot of places. Same is true of duds. While I've never seen a dud Boss, I can't say the same for Purdey.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For me there's only one practical working definition of "Best":

A gun or any other crafted object judged by the craft's peers to exhibit the finest materials, workmanship and artistic composition.

Frankly, I think the term "best" is totally worthless in a practical sense. I certainly lack the expertise or experience to present to others a work as "best". I do have my own preferences and opinions but they're of value only to me.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

The book "Lock Stock & Barrel" written by Cyril Adams and Robert Braden is perhaps the best description ever of the process of making a best grade English gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Didn't they believe (unappologetically) that a Best Gun could only come from London?
You know, those Boss guns with the giant "Boss's Pat." stuck in the middle of the frame, surrounded by lovely engraving, always left me a little cold. But, when we talk of Best Guns, is it always about the workmanship, or does asthetics enter the picture?
'Cause a gun shouldn't leave me cold, Best, or, otherwise.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, I sort of feel like you do about engraving, but Obsessed with Doubles has this to say about engraving on best guns. Are we off course ? He's seen Best quality guns with Horrible engraving.

Quote OWD--- "Engraving has nothing to do with Best quality. I've seen Best-quality guns with little to none. I've also seen "Best" quality guns with horrible engraving."

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, accordingly, we could have a "Best" that was engraved with vignettes from a Bugs Bunny cartoon, with Elmer pursuing Bugs, carrying the likeness of a non-best double gun ( tape on the head of the stock, likely a Parker) and, it would still be a Best?
Guess I'm not buying it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll have a peek at the Bonham's show in London at the end of the month and know from my last visit a couple years ago there'll be nothing there that I'd prefer to what I have at home. Great guns, best guns, plain good guns, many within my means, but none that would make me happier in the field or blind than those I use now. They're "Best" guns to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I doubt anyone has lower criteria than I, Browner-after all, I'd bet even you wouldn't take the time and effort to re-finish a Cooey/Winchester 840 single shot.

But, I did. Was my little brother's first gun. Best enough for a 14 year old.

But, that aside, a question has been begged, and no firm answer provided, saving the one voiced by you, and thought by at least a few of us.

Great hockey game by the way. The first one, I mean.

Best,
Ted

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.