April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, rtw, Hugh Lomas, CJ Dawe, 1 invisible), 983 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,117
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a chance to come into a Baker project gun-an early 16 gauge Batavia Brush gun. I say "come into" because the gun would be a barter proposition-I would owe some labor, (overhaul a Q-jet, something very easy for me) and cough up 350 rounds of leftover GI .45 hardball ammunition. I don't own a .45, and didn't pay for the ammo.
The gun has nice barrels, mint bores and traces of case color remaining. The bad news is the buttstock-several cracks, and a bit of shrinkage around the lockplates. The gun is un-altered, and has it's original buttplate. It would be my first, last, and only foray into damascus, or, more correctly, twist barrels.

"Rare," is an overused term these days, but, this is a fairly rare bird. That is NOT to say that a low grade Baker in well used condition is a very valuable gun-hardly. I have two 16s at present, a nice Tournament grade Tobin, restocked to fit, and a mid 1950s Ithaca 37, shooter plus in condition, and modified with a lefty safety.

Can't say I need another 16, truthfully, but I always liked the Baker Brush Gun concept. Straight stock, 26" cylinder/modified choke barrels, sling swivels as an option. No swivels on this one. Studied the catalogs, and looked for years, but never had the opportunity, until now. I have had my eye open for either an S grade (hammer block) gun, or a Brush gun, forever. To say I would prefer either gun in 16 is an understatement.

To say I would prefer the S is an understatement, also. I suspect that one is even more rare than the Brush model.

Easily, one could put too much cash into a low grade gun like this-hell, I've done that already, with my Tobin. But, I could just "get her going" as a friend's Grandfather used to put it, for slim to nothing. The admission price ($0, my cost, more or less) is a plus, too. The friend who owns it has around $50 into it, and needs .45 ammo and a carb overhaul more than a twist barrel 16 gauge Baker (most sane people fall into that catagory, I'm guessing.)

Ammunition would be a hassle, 'sorta. I'm pretty sure the warranty is off, and returning it to the trader/seller isn't an option on a bottom feeder deal like this. If a major problem came up, it would end up a wall hanger, or parts gun, I guess. DAH is a remarkable, for the era, 2 5/8ths, or so. No cast, very workable for a lefty. 14" LOP-both those figures, while not perfect, can be made to work.

What say ye? Baker fans encouraged to reply, honestly, and soberly, if possible.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

For a Q-jet overhaul, and ammo you got for free? I'd be goin' for it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You know, with as little money you will have in this gun from the start, you have a heck of an advantage. Most people buy a project gun for 500 and then put another 500 in it. You have a gun which has no out of pocket expense. For 500 more you could make some real improvements. Get the gun and have fun. Life is too full of would of, should of, could of. Just do it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I considered that. The way my world works, I get the gun for free ('sorta) get talked into putting $750 into it, and the S grade I would prefer shows up, for the same $750, just as my taxes, or some other nasty unforseen expense, are due, leaving me to watch, per usual, as my ship burns and sinks in the mouth of the harbor, instead of coming in to me.
Friend is more of a "black gun" sort of guy, owns a new-ish Beretta O/U, and would like to see the Baker returned to service, just not so much so that he would consider doing it. We all have our priorities.
It is a wall hanger now, at his house. I really, really hope it wouldn't end up the same way, here. I'm not willing to make very costly repairs to this level of gun, great deal, or not.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would get it and hold on to it for say a year. If you Grail gun comes into the harbor move the Baker on to somebody else. If not you will still have the project. To me it's the old "bird in the hand" theory.

Just my two cents.

Regards, Gordon

Our Dogs make our lives better
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not a bad idea, either. The ball is in the friends court now, will see what happens. He also needs an FFL to handle some business for him, which, I offered to do. Seems he is thinking about a new .45, and gets a swinging deal oweing to his military duty status.
Happy ending for everybody?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with Gordan. Do the deal and get the gun. It could possibly end up trade material for the 'S' that you want or just sell it.
I do know where an 'S'12 lives. It's a shooter that has been nicely restocked with good wood(don't remember the grip), steel barrels, the metal refinished as well, but incorrectly. I haven't seen it in a few years, but the guy might sell it. I'll try to get more details if you are interested. He may even be interested in the brush gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

While not exactly the same....

I have a Baker 10 gauge hammerless damascus SxS that was a project gun, and I had it 100% restored. I've been shooting it with Chambermates using my 12 gauge low pressure reloads. This fall I practiced with it on sporting clays, and then used it on several pheasants. All worked out well.

I probably spent more on this project than it is worth, and if I had to sell it, I'd likely take a loss. But it is a fun gun, and I enjoy it, so what the hell....

When we go hunting, no one else is shooting the same gun as I am....Some of us derive a special pleasure from hunting with a 120 year old shotgun.

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, the Batavia Brush guns are really nicely configured and relatively rare, and most are 12 gauge. The 16 gauge is quite rare and I think it would be worth your effort.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'll let you guys know what happens. I'll be honest, the stock scares me a bit at this point.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.