March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, canvasback, Ted Schefelbein), 825 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#178511 02/12/10 06:04 AM
CBL1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone any experience of "jug" choking or recess choking whereby a cylinder barrel has a slight recess formed in the bore approximately one inch behind the muzzle; recess then causes the shot to gather before leaving the muzzle resulting in a denser pattern - effectively "giving back" choke to a gun without it?

The only reason I ask is that most pre 1875 doubles seem to have no choke and whilst this is practically little issue for shots 35 yrds and below, it can be restrictive outside of that - especially on wildfowling/waterfowling bigger bore guns. I am NOT advocating crazy long range shooting here at all - but simply that on occasion, having some element of choke can be beneficial.

Interested to hear opinion, especially whether anyone has ever seen this done on Damascus barrels (assuming plenty of barrel thickness to work with)?

CBL1 #178521 02/12/10 09:13 AM
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I had this done to a set of damascus barrels I once owned. Nick Makinson did the work and it seemed to pattern well and kill Roosters nicely. He was limited as to the amount of choke he could add with this method, if memory serves, on this set of barrels he was able to add .012" or light mod chocking.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
CBL1 #178528 02/12/10 09:47 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Never had experience with other than fluid steel barrels, but I can vouch that jug choking works well.

My best skeet barrel is a cut off full choke barrel jugged about .006". Very even pattern.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
CBL1 #178529 02/12/10 10:02 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

CBL1 I just had this done and am very pleased, I shoot sporting clays and the best I could do on my home course before was 72 after haveing it done I shot 86 and 88. I had .015 jug put in both barrels that measure .735 bore size. The plan was to pattern it after I had it done to compare to the pattern sheets I did before but we have 14 inches of snow so it will have to wait. Mike Orlen did the work by the way. Hope this helps. Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

The amount of jug choking can depend on the thickness of the barrels in that area. If you 35 thousandths in thickness you cannot remove 20 thousandths for a modified choke because your wall thickness at that point will be too thin.

So many guns, so little time!
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I agree, but .020" of constriction is only .010" per wall

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot a 1870 Scott with both damascus barrels jug choked to .006. It is my favorite dove gun and commonly nails birds well over 30 yards--and they're small targets. Neatly done I see no reason not to do it as long as wall thickness is sufficient.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

My one experience was with a Citori .410 skeet gun, one of the first to come to the LA area. It was Cyl/cyl and lousy. Would not keep all the shot on a 48" x48" paper @ 20 yards. Purbaugh jugged it to about the equivalent of .410 modified and it was a much improved skeet killer. My only anoyance was that plastic would build up in the recess and needed to be frequently cleaned. It definitely does work! It's my belief that it's a very effective thing to do to a muzzle loader because they still load like a cylinder barrel, but can then give a tighter pattern, for longer shots.

> Jim Legg <

CBL1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

On my hammer Reilly, I doubt this will be an option as the barrels are no more than 28 thou at any point.

However, on another of my guns, thickness is > 50 thou, which would indicate I could have a chance. Forgive the UK terminology, but if the barrels on this gun are currently improved cyclinder (I think US skeet or 0.005), could I feasibly go up to modified/half choke (0.020) or is the improvement limited to a smaller degree? Bonehills post just above this would indicate it is possible.

CBL1 #178543 02/12/10 10:55 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jug choking can work very well, assuming that the barrels in question have sufficient wall thickness to accomodate them. It is an old technique but a good one.

Three things might be considered, however:

First, recess chokes do not always perform their best with loads that use plasic wads. I suspect that at least some these wads do not always allow shot charges to "spread" inside the "jug" sufficiently to allow the constriction in the "choke" to do its job optimally. At least, that has been my experience.

Next, FWIW, "jugged" chokes do not usually lend themselves to optimal accuracy using solid projectiles. Accuracy can be pretty "cattywumpus" after barrels are jug choked.

Finally, even after barrels are "jugged" the shooter is still limited to just one choke per barrel. If this is a potential problem, the installation of a set of Briley "Thin Wall" choke tubes might be a desirable option.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.