Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a few pix that I took to illustrate a talk I gave to friends in the Carolina Vintagers, no awards for photography but I think they might help.

Here are the barrels being bored with a special boring tool. They are held in a jig to ensure that the new tubes are true to the original.

The monoblock has now been cut off to length and is ready to have its tubes inserted.

Another view.
Once the tubes have been inserted, they TIG welded at the breech face....

...and at the joint.
They are then tempered to avoid cracking, struck up, ribs relaid, chambered, extractors fitted, rim recess cut, choked, fine bored and lapped, polished, engraved and blacked.
Here are some fairly typical soft solder ones part way through the blacking process (sleeved by Westley Richards in the '70's).

Here are some TIG sleeved barrels that we had done at a similar stage of blacking. Note the band of welded material.

Interestingly, while soft solder joints often get more apparent with time, TIG welded joints tend to disappear over time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When going to a smaller chamber like a rifle cal.you can thread them in.
[img][/img]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g211/rshow/sendoutpic1914-1.jpg" alt="" />[/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is finished barrels after threading together. [img][/img]

Last edited by Rd Show; 02/06/10 06:57 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

very neat post. what is th cost these days?
Monty

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the great photos and links on sleeving. This is exactly what I was looking for and sure makes the process easier to understand.

welder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great pictures, thanks. TIG or solder, any advantage to either other than the cosmetics? Also, whats a good source of blanks for the barrels? Can any aftermarket tubes be used?

Welder

Sidelock
Sidelock

Monty, in the UK about £1000 allowing for a modicum of engraving, jointing etc. Turn round about 2-4 months.

Welder, can't think of many advantages either way other than the aesthetics.
Arguably there is a risk of cracking in TIG process if the barrels are not properly normalised after welding.
Also I have come across many soft solder sleeved guns that are loose in the joint. This should not be a safety issue but accelerates the appearance of the joint as a silver line. It is only really detectable at the breech face where under magnification one can see oil bubbles being blown when you flex the tubes, similar to the test for loose lumps.
As regards sourcing tubes, I think most come from Italy ready machined. No idea where the US ones come from

Sidelock
Sidelock

Toby,
I found the same to be true when I TIG welded my tubes in a LC Smith conversion sleeving job. There's enough carbon in the barrels to harden the heat affected zone of the weld and it self-quenches from the cooling because the barrrels were cool. I had to normalize before filing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.