May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (barrel browner, Hammergun, Birdog), 338 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,515
Posts545,684
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#177742 02/06/10 06:13 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I'm thinking it might be nice to diversify my investments, particularly as i don't think I have the stomach to stay 100% in the stock market much longer. Also, reading the article in the Winter DGJ makes me think that investing in best English guns might be enjoyable.

I know almost very little - does anyone have any advice regardintg where to start? As a novice, it seems like it might make most sense to start with the big names: Purdey, H&H, Boss and maybe even to buy used from them but I imagine I'll take it in the shorts. Buying elsewhere has risks; I don't know a good gunsmith who could check over potential purchases and I'm not sure which dealers would be trustworthy.

If anyone could point me at a book, website, etc. anything that could help me start learning I would be much obliged.

Thanks,
David

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are a dealer's dream.

Don't walk into a shop and repeat what you've posted here. If they have any investment-grade guns, they've already invested in them and they're looking for a guy like you so they can make their money. Chances are, the profit will be long gone by the time you buy from them.

The big makers in London charge absolute top dollar, top dollar plus, really.

You can buy stuff at auction, but you really have to know what you're doing before you jump into that game.

Where in the US are you located?

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you do not know what you are doing in buying Best guns, your money is safer in the market. The world is full of tired, worn out, Best guns that have been dressed up to look better than they are. Easy to buy a gun for 20K which is worth half that much at best. A good gunsmith may be able to prevent many mistakes like this but every evaluation you get will cost you more money in your Best education.

Best guns are not investments any more than breast implants are in a wife or girl friend. They are nice to look at and to hold but will only cost you more money in the end. Plus the return on investment will not grow over time, if you add in inflation. If Best guns were such a great investment every high grade dealer would be swimming in cash.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Boy you guys are discouraging.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Boy you guys are discouraging.

Ney, ney !!
They tell truth.

No one can learn enough to sniff out the sleepers in less than several years. Lots of tuition in mistakes will be made, also.

But--If you decide to do it anyway, pick one marque and one only. Study and handle many, many of them. Make the first purchase when you know that you are expert on them.

Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This one will have plenty of answers !
Here's my opinion on guns as investments:
I wouldn't do it. I love guns, best guns even more, but there are other things that are easier to evaluate, trade, sell and make a profit than best guns.
If you are going for this, absolutely follow OWD advice , and forget about buying in the makers. They often advertise as buyers, have some work done, and sell with a big premium. There's no way you can get a decent profit buying from them.

Good luck
HM

Sidelock
Sidelock

They know better than to buy sleevers, though.

Guns aren't an investment, anymore than a car is. Do some cars turn out to be worth more money than they cost? Sure. So do some guns. The trick is, which ones?

If you win on a gun, it is likely because you held on to it for a long time. The guy in the DGJ has been in the game for a long time, and bought his guns when they were much cheaper to get into, and, importantly, repair at the factory. I've got a hunch the rebarreled/rewooded guns (Langs?) he had photos of aren't worth as much as he seems to believe they are. No proof yet, since, they aren't for sale, but, time will tell. At his age, they shouldn't lose much more condition, anyway. If he keeps them too long, it won't matter if they went up or down, since, getting rid of them will be someone else's problem.

Like the investment brokers say, "Buy low, sell high". Like Sponge Bob says, "Good luck with that".

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tough to make any significant money when you are buying at retail and selling wholesale. Particularly true if you were to pass away suddenly, and the Little Lady has to sell your stuff. She can sell those stocks at full market value. Not so with the guns. People who hold guns for a long period and sell them for a bunch more than they paid may find they could have done as well putting the money in a passbook savings account

Sidelock
Sidelock

You dont make your money selling a gun,you make it when you buy it.
Buy it right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

David JMHO but you must like guns or you would not be thinking about it. And just like when you started in the stock market. You got advice etc,??? Same here there are several great honest people on this site who could help you make the right decisions to help you get started. As They can't buy them all themselves. People Like Michael Petrov,Terry Buffum etc,etc.They are honest people to deal with.At least you should talk to them and others.
And no matter what I would rather have a gun in the closet that I paid too much for than a piece of paper that is even too hard to use in the bath room.Smile Like I said just my HO as I have also been there done that. Whitey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.