Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#177511 02/05/10 02:58 PM
welder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I PICKED UP AN OLD BELGIAN GUILD 16 GA WITH ONE SPLIT BARREL. a) WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF FINDING A REPLACEMENT THAT COULD BE FIT?
b) CAN A SPLIT BARREL BE tIG WELDED AND SLEEVED? ITS A PRETTY GUN WITH WHAT APPEARS TO BE FINE FITTING AND WORKMANSHIP AND I'D LIKE TO GIVE IT A NEW LIFE.

Welder

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

hello, normally you cut the barrels off and make a mono block and put new tubes in the mono block i guess you could sleeve the bad barrel. but welding it and lining it wouldn't look very good and it would be a big job with poor results, unfortunately its not cheep to sleeve a barrel mc

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Sleeved" is a term in the gun world that is somewhat misleading to a machinist or shop person.

"Sleeved" means cut the barrel off at some point near the chamber and use the remaining portion that has the lower lump (hinge) and the breachface, then bore remaining chambers to accept turned down barrels. then they are soldered in

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

In reading your above post my mind was wandering concerning the sleeving process. Specifically, the boring of the chambers to accept the new tubes. I have no machinist background whatsoever, but the question of re-regulation arises in my mind. If the old barrels are cut off before the chambers are bored/reamed, then how does the machinist perfectly align the boring bit/tool with the old bore axis, or is that not important?

It would seem better to somehow pilot the drill/reamer in the old bores, if that is possible, and go ahead and drill out the chambers, then cut off the barrels.

I know there must be something about the process I do not understand. Just curious.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

i have sleeved a few barrels and have used a chuck with 8 jaws. the mono block is put into a smaller steel "pipe"i used cerrosafe to hold the mono block i used a spud to get the mono block close then you indicate the back and front of the mono block (left of right side barrel )and use a boring bar to turn the inside diameter. i have heard of drilling and reaming in a mill and cutting the barrels off at 8 inches and using a spud to hold the mono block then turning the inside (i think chuck used the last method)mc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
The way I did it, without ever seeing how experienced "sleeving" gunsmiths do it, was to cut the barrels off at about 6". Then I turned a spud to fit the bore size, slid one barrel on it, tack welded it to it to drive it in the lathe, put the spud back in the lathe and indicated in the back of the chamber by bending the spud with a mallet, then bored the chamber out, repeat for the other chamber. That ensured the new oversized bores where the chambers were would be in line with the old bores, thus assureing the new barrels would align with the old barrels. It worked very well. I suspect the average gunsmith allows for alignment by leaving sufficient clearance between the new tube and the overbored chambers to allow a little wiggle room and room for solder. I TIG welded my 20-28g conversion, so I wanted a nice slip fit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would really be interested in seeing some photos of how the sleeving process is done. Seems like I saw a posting of this procedure a few years ago but I haven't been able to find it. Any one out there have any good suggestions on where to find more information on this process? Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thee's guy on here that's an expert on these things....I think his name is Sniffle'bean or something like that.

I'm sure he could help.

welder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I as well would like to see photos of sleeving or relining barrels. A picture is worth a thousand words. Does any one know of books or articles on the processes?

Welder

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last edited by Drew Hause; 02/06/10 10:29 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.