March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (NZHunter, LGF, SKB), 243 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#174503 01/15/10 11:57 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Next week (Jan 21 - 24) we are having our annual Firearms Engravers & Gunmakers Exhibition at the Nugget Hotel in Sparks NV just outside of Reno. This is a new venue for us and I promise that we will be MUCH easier to find than we where at the Silver Legacy. When you get tired of fighting the crowds at the SCI show please come out and say hello or you could just come and see us and forget the SCI show.

Glenn Fewless and I will have a very special rifle for display and sale at Glenn's table....... a Gibbs single shot rifle with a large hole in the end of the barrel (500 Nitro Express). As Glenn would say "Go big or go home".

I'll send Dave a check if/when we sell the rifle no matter who buys it.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

I also echo Doug's invitation. GO TO THE SHOW! There will be some really great talent/skill on display! Seems to be the year of the BIG BORES! Go figure.

Dennis

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemens:

By all means, if you are in the neighborhood visit the Guild show. You will be sure to see some fine work and be able to discuss it with the craftsmen that produce it. It is the ultimate custom gun show.

Here are a couple pictures of the barrel with the big hole in the end... Still in the white.

Best to all,

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice Glenn. Your metal work is unsurpassed. Your metal work combined with Dougs outstanding woodworking surely makes a tasty treat. Lets see pics of the whole gun. I know you've been busy...but have you started work on your Lefever FE yet??

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a Ruger No.1 action.

Sidelock
Sidelock

DAM:

Looking at the picture I can see why it might be mistaken for a Ruger... It is actually an early original Gibbs Farquharson action, cira 1878ish.

Here are a couple pictures of the restored action...

Glenn

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Fewless,
That's not restoration.... that reincarnation! Regardless, I look forward to seeing more pictures of the completed project.
NCTarheel

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: NCTarheel

That's not restoration.... that reincarnation!

Mr. Tarheel:

You are not far wrong. There are a lot of hours in the action to get it to the point shown in the pictures. And more since then.

If you happen to have a copy of Wal Winfer's Gibbs Farquharson book this action is pictured in it, on or around page 97 if I recall correctly. Mr. Mann has my copy of the book right now. This picture gives a good idea of the "before" condition.

There are no photos of the completed rifle. We have an appointment with Tom Alexander to photograph the rifle properly at the show in Reno. The rifle has an exceptional piece of wood for a handle and Mr. Mann's work is easily up to the level of the metal.

Y'all need to come to Reno for the show. There are lots of fine rifles and shotguns like this to have impure thoughts about...

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn Fewless; 01/18/10 02:38 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

NCTarheel --- I assure you that Mr. Glenn's work is far better than the picture shows. I have worked on some of his pices & am of the opinion that there is no body that does better work.

Last edited by Ken Hurst; 01/18/10 11:03 AM.

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr. Ken,
I've seen some of Mr. Glenn's work up close...and it was as close to perfect as human hands could make it. I also agree, there is no one I have seen that does better. The beauty part is he is an even finer gentleman when anyone has the priviledge of meeting him!!!
NCTarheel

Last edited by NCTarheel; 01/18/10 04:31 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.