April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jimmy W), 409 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,228
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was living in Western Ak in the heart of the Y-K Delta when both the Emperor and the Cackling goose were placed on the protected list. Numerous meetings were held with the Eskimo population in the area to discuss and pursuade the elders that protection was necessary, and for the Elders to impress upon their people to curtail their spring subsistence hunting and egg gathering.

At the time (mid-80's), the Emperor had fallen to around 42,000 birds in number from close to 140,000 in the 60's. The target number for the Emperor was 80,000 birds, to re-open hunting. A quick google search indicates the surveyed numbers have risen to 84,000, so maybe they are contemplating a re-opening of the Emperor hunting.

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was hunting in SoCal on Saturday, ran across a guy on Navy leave, lives in IL, and he wanted a drake cinnamon teal in the worst way. Couldn't find teal to save his life. Ran into him again on Sunday, he was despondent that he would have to pack up and head back to base without his teal. I headed off to my blind for a little afternoon shoot in the rain. About five minutes later I had a drake cinnamon in the bag. Tracked him down and gave it to him. I'd rather be lucky than good.

I've seen the Aleutian Teal in the bird I.D. books, but their pics don't do that bird justice. Very nice bird and great pic.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geno
Geo, its common teal.Why Baikal?
Common Teal is most wide spread duck here.

Geno, you were right,I checked my bird book; the Baikal Teal (Anas Formosa)is different. The North American variety of Greenwing Teal (Anas Crecca) has a white bar or crescent in front of the wing. The Eurasian variety does not have this stripe, but it (your common teal) looks to me just like the Aleutian Teal pictured above...Geo

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 01/18/10 09:03 PM.
Coryreb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There is talk of subsistance hunting being reinstated for the emperor geese for next season since the numbers have rebounded. We are probably a few years off from hunting them as part of a sportsman's legal bag from the sound of it.

I hope it is reinstated. I would love to hunt the emperors and shoot just one. A really beautiful bird.

Coryreb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Described as recently as 1948, Aleutian Green-winged Teal (A. c. nimia) are identical to the Old World race, except for a slightly superior size. However, atypical of far-northern dabblers, they are year-round Alaskan residents, where the teal are possibly the most numerous puddle-duck of the Aleutian Islands. Frequenting ponds and lakes in summer, the Aleutian teal shift to marine beaches in winter, and commonly forage at low tide in tide pools and shallow-water reefs. Females of the three races are virtually indistinguishable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If they ever bring the Emperors back onto the list I'll be making a trip up there for certain. But then again, I said that about the Aletian Canada Geese and I've still never done that hunt either. They've been back on the list for three or four years now. So many birds so little time.....

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits

Beautiful pics. Hope you had a great time. I am booked for a hunt on Kodiak this Nov and plan to do some ducks too. I hope I get a chance at some of those eiders or teal. How long is it til Nov again??

Is that a 12 ga RBL? Nice story. Thanks

Coryreb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is an RBL 12 ga.

I don't think you will see teal or eiders in Kodiak. There are harli's and other sea ducks however. Good luck on your trip.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.