March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jtplumb, CJF, ChiefAmungum, Lloyd3, battle, 1 invisible), 300 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,981
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#173760 01/10/10 02:58 PM
eddiel4 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend of mine has a lovely 20 ga. Malin shotgun. It's marked with his location as Ontario Canada. Somewhere in my memory bank is the vague recollection of some issue with his guns from the 80's but I'm not sure (believe it dealt with sourcing of parts). Can anyone one out there refresh my memory on him good, bad or indifferent, especially the quality of his guns?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of his work shown in Game Gun by Grozik.
Controversial work, some reported excellent some not so, some with (reported) spurious London Proofs(?)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Malin had some excellent workers, for a time, but he ran into legal trouble. I can't recall the specifics, but there were suspicions of using Spanish parts passed off as English, fruadulent proof marks to cover the above. The uncertainty has hurt the value of his guns

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back 20 plus years ago, the Frank Malin name/guns were owned by a company in Charlotte, NC. I remember handling several new Malin guns that were in stock. I was very interested in ordering a new 20Ga custom boxlock back then. Hurricane Hugo roared through the Charlotte area at that time and destroyed much of the store's guns and for sale high end art work. Hugo basically ended the Frank Malin gun company in Charlotte.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Frank Malin,[deceased March 10 2006] had some of his boxlock guns made by W&C.Scott in their works at Tame Road, Birmingham.This I can attest to because I saw the guns in production.
Malin,s sidelock guns were made exclusively by British trained craftsmen in his Melbourne,Ontario,Canada,shop [and are marked with his name the Melbourne address]. Malin,s material sources were the same as those used by the British trade of the day. Frank I am sorry to say got carried away by personal ambition, and as a result ran into trouble and lost control of his business.
The police investigated Malin,s business dealings.After reviewing the evidence[ie:I was to be called as an expert witness] they did not proceed with any charge of; "missrepresentation in respect of custom built shotguns".Frank was however found guilty of fraud in respect of accepting deposits on guns that were not delivered. The penalty was a fine of $2500.
Today, Purdey and others can engrave their name on imported shotgun actions that they have finished and receive praise in the sporting press. This was not the case for the late Frank Malin!

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Purdey's and others are a little more forthright and up-front with that information then perhaps Frank was. I suspect that is the difference.
Mr. Malin's guns could be wonderful, but, they didn't have to be. Look 'em over very well...
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a friend who used to stock guns for Malin. He came from Britain, found Franks shop and Frank offered him a job. I'm not sure how long he worked there, but it wasnt that long of a gig , less than a year I think. He left Franks to come to American and to work at a gunshop in Lewisville, Texas with the likes of Kirk Merrington and John Foster. My friend says that all the guns he stocked at Malins were actions, locks and barrels from Spain. He and the rest of the craftsman who built these guns werent too impressed with the quality of the parts from Spain, he even made the comment that for the most part, alot of it was pure rubbish that required many hours, extra hours to get them to function somewhat properly. He did say that most of the other lads working at the shop were indeed from England, alot of them having worked in various English gun factories.
After listening to my friends stories about his time working at Malins, it sounds like Frank was one heck of a story teller, a bit of a miser and at times a crochety boss. Sounds like an interesting fella.

Dustin

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wonder if your friend told you of the Malin Gun made for and accepted by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales on the occasion of his marriage to the late Princess Dianna.The gun was a 16.G; S.L.E;Proof tested in Birmingham & made exactly to the Princes specifications. The gun was wonderfully engraved by Ron Collings.The British magazine, "Shooting Times" of the period, contains an article by the Late Geoffrey Boothroyd describing this gun and Malins business in Canada. By the way I was a frequent visitor to the Malin shop when located in Melborne. The stockers who worked on the early Melborne guns were, David Catchpole[ Ex:Holland & Holland and Gallyons]sadly deceased and Arthur Troth an absolute wizard from the Birmingham trade, who I am pleased to say still practices his trade. A man I might add that I am privileged to call a friend.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nope, he never mentioned that gun. If you would like to talk to him about his time at Malins...send me a email and I'll give you his number, I'm sure he wouldnt mind talking with you about his experience there.

Dustin
maruquinandsons@juno.com

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Roy Hebbes
and Arthur Troth an absolute wizard from the Birmingham trade, who I am pleased to say still practices his trade. A man I might add that I am privileged to call a friend.

Arthur did some work for me a few years back and he was just a wonderful guy. Visited him at his shop in SW Ontario. And the work wasn't too shabby either. Roy, do you know if he is still accepting work??

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.