April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (vern21), 997 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Do any of you members know where I can obtain information on the Luigi Franchi sidelocks? In particular the Imperiales, but also the Imperial and the Condor model as well. Any leads would be appreciated. Thank you.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

What kind of info are you looking for?,..I'm quite familiar with the Condor model

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: CJO
What kind of info are you looking for?,..I'm quite familiar with the Condor model

CJ

How do you tell one model from another? Are they stamped anywhere with model name? Could the barrels be made to any length when ordered?
When were they made? Approximate value of each model in very good condition? Where on the gun is the serial # located.
Tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

http://www.scaravelliemilio.com/html_home_en.php Look at this Italian website there are often Franchi's for sale.
Marc.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't find any info on dates of production. However, on a specific gun, you can tell when it was made from the date code on the barrel flats. Either a Roman numeral if it's an older gun (I = 1945; count forward from there) or two letters, starting with AA in 1975.

Blue Book says the Condor should be worth mid-$6K range, the other two mid-$9K range, in 98% condition. I've only seen a couple Condors on dealers' lists, and from their prices it looks as if the Blue Book may be high on these guns.

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

[/quote]

How do you tell one model from another? Are they stamped anywhere with model name? Could the barrels be made to any length when ordered?
When were they made? Approximate value of each model in very good condition? Where on the gun is the serial # located.
Tom [/quote]

The model name and ser# is stamped on the water table "CONDOR"
Should be the same for the Iperiale
I belive bbl lengths were standad on the Condor...27", 29"
I think they were made in the late 50's to mid 60'

All this info is also available in the blue book of gun values as well as prices as to condition

These are high quality guns, for the sake of comparison the Imperiale should be as fine as a Piotti

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

You can see descriptions and pictures of the Imperial in mid to late fifties Stoeger catalogs. They were about six hundred dollars then.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good call, eightbore. Just checked my 1961 Stoeger's. Condor $470, Imperiale $595. For comparison to another Italian sidelock, the Bernardelli Holland went for $450 in the same catalog.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is from the 1954 Stoeger Catalogue No. 45 --

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was told that the earlier guns were spectacular.
When questioning that opinion, I was told that the engravers of the earlier (circa 1930s)were done by master engravers from Liege. Luigi Franchi hired a couple of the master engravers from Liege to work on his highest guns. They did what is known as Bouquet and Scroll. Not Rose and Scroll like the English guns. This was a special Belgian design and was possibly more beautiful.
It was used on only his best work.
I recently looked at one. A round body of really outstanding handling and it was/is a work of art.This was my first experience with this grade of Franchi.
I had to smile when I mounted it. It was a perfect extension of my arms and hands. The weight was exactly between my hands and seemed to weigh nothing.
It was, at that moment, I wished I were younger and had a bit deeper pockets. Other than my beloved Diamond Lindner, this is the finest shotgun I have ever handled.
Best,
John

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.