April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Der Ami, Ken Nelson, canvasback, Roundsworth, 2 invisible), 380 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,788
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

here is the "brochette".
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/conten...ideal20_07l.jpg
I don't know what that text means, maybe no serial number? weird.

WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: WildCattle
Larry,
I did not understand what your point was.
Of course, "pyroxylee" is not required to be marked on the gun. However, it is the *only* French word which applied to Nitro-cellulose based propellants in the early 1900s. Nitro or any derivative is just not in any French dictionary of the period and Smokeless or "sans-fumee" is way too vague and decidedly not scientific. By the way, Nitric acid was actually known as "acide azotique" in that time frame, Nitrogen is still "Azote", therefore Nitro anything was a non starter (except for nitro-glycerine which was a trade mark I believe).
By the way "poudre", even though widely used is not correct either, as the T is not really powder but comes in flakes.
As for the proof in the PT, I was looking for the actual regulation text which is the only way to actually prove this.
Anyways, I guess it's time to call it a day.

Best regards,
WC-

WC, the Belgians have used "PV" (poudre vive) ever since 1898. The fact that you'll see "pyroxylee" on some French guns means nothing, other than the fact that some French gunmakers chose to use that term. Others didn't use any term at all; others used poudre vive. Another analogy would be to the terms "lisse" and "cylindrique", either of which might be found on the flats of a French shotgun barrel which has no choke.

And while the term "powder" does originally derive from the powdery consistency of the material, saying that PT isn't really a "powder" because it comes in flakes is just downright . . . well, FLAKY. Many other powders also consist of flakes, and we have modern powders that are ball powders. But they're still all powders--because "powder" in that sense means the propellant used to drive a bullet or shot charge, regardless of whether it comes in ball, flake, or some other form.

And I'm not quite sure what you're looking for concerning "the proof in PT". According to Kennett, post-1924 smokeless proof was at 12,000 psi with PT; superior proof at 15,600 psi.

As for what the "P" stands for, the following from "Tir des Fusils de Chasse", by General Journee, edition of 1949:
"Aucune des poudres experimentees ne s'est montree superieure a la poudre T." The book contains numerous other references to "poudres S, J, M", etc. Thus, the P in the abbreviation is clearly "poudre" and not "pyroxylee".

Last edited by L. Brown; 01/04/10 11:01 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
WC, the Belgians have used "PV" (poudre vive) ever since 1898. The fact that you'll see "pyroxylee" on some French guns means nothing, other than the fact that some French gunmakers chose to use that term.

Larry, it seems you didn't take an advice and didn't read Manufrance catalog 1900 pages 2-8.
(Sorry, but sign Eprouve Fini Poudre Pyroxylee indicates gun Nitro Proof and words Poudre Pyroxylee means Nitro Powder)

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geno . . . je parle assez bien francais, merci beaucoup. I have no trouble understanding what the term MEANS. The question is whether "pyroxylee" has any OFFICIAL status. My point is that you do NOT find "poudre pyroxylee" as an official proofmark from either of the French proofhouses, whereas you DO find "nitro" as an official proofmark on guns from various countries (England, Germany, etc). The terms "poudre vive" and "poudre pyroxylee" are perfectly interchangeable, and in fact the former has "official" status (as in the Belgian "PV" proofmark). What Manufrance chose to put on its guns, in addition to official proofmarks, is immaterial. Once more . . . the OFFICIAL French proofhouse designation for smokeless powder proof is PT under either a star (Paris) or crown (St Etienne). Maybe Manufrance figured they needed to spell it out for people who didn't understand what the proofmark meant.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have to agree with Larry, that as I posted on page 7 of the thread, after seeing the
proofmark table, the "P" stands for Poudre that in this case means "gunpowder" and
not just "powder". I should also say that the first definition of "poudre" in my trusty
Larousse already cited says "pólvora" or "gunpowder". There are even sayings using
poudre in that meaning: in n'a pas inventé la poudre, he didn't invent gunpowder.

The pages on the 1900 Manufrance catalogue that Geno mentioned are worth reading
as they include patterning and pressure tests using different types of poudres.
Describing Poudre "T" they say it "100% cotton" (literal translation as I know nothing about
gunpowders), in very light flakes that if you happen to drop will fly to the four corners of
the room and you will not be able to pick up; also that when reloading it should not be
pressed down, that first quality shells with efficient primers and a good rolled crimp should
be used for optimal results.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

I always thought MF guns that had the 5-palm
punch marks on the flats meant that the barrels
were extra stout. Is this not accurate?

What do the palm marks mean and why do some MF guns
have 3 vs. 5?
Thanks,
-Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Post deleted by beleg2

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, I don't care about official status of early nitro proofs since we have to follow and try to keep low pressures in old guns. I did say Poudre Pyroxylee is Nitro Powder and with words Eprouve Fini means Nitro Proofed.
Let me remind you no one American nitro proof got no official status.
Nitro or not nitro proofed for pre-war guns such as Ideal is a just matter of price (maybe). Both nitro proofed and not nitro proofed guns could be used with modern nitro powders or nitro-for-black substitutes today.
Actually all this is useless argument.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The palm count is akin to a grade.
In damascus barrels, it was linked to the number of rods used.
It is really only a loose indication of a higher strength.
MF does not really state what the criteria are. However, the 5 palms has been at some point the only one proofed for the "epreuve superieure".
Best regards,
WC

Sidelock
Sidelock

Martin, beg to differ.

Palms, ranging from one to five after Acier Hercule indicate the quality of the steel
used to make the barrels, they are not indicators of pressure proof.

Unfortunately the proofmark looks a lot like the palms, but in reality it is more like
two crossed feathers with a crown in the middle and three dots followed by "St.-Etienne".
Easy to confuse.

Of course the more the palms the better and sturdier the barrels.

Here you can see the proofmark for "épreuve supérieure des armes finies",
the arrows through the circles followed by the Poudre used "T" and the designated

quality of three palms for the acier Hercule used.

As you can see the palms are not the same as the proofmarks. No crown, no dots.
JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.