May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Wild Skies, cpa, Marks_21, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 212 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,491
Posts545,319
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Sidelock
Sidelock

JC,
You are right and Im wrong.
I just delete my post, Im very busy with some articles and read this post too lightly considering the experts in it.
Sorry I thought he was talking about St-Etienne plams.

Martin

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe that "100% cotton" comes from the provenance of the cellulose in the powder making process. Some nitro powders such as S were made using wood cellulose.
My comment on the powder word was intended as a friendly provocation, not to be taken too literally.
As for the PT, PJ, PS, PM actual meaning the only proof will be in the text of the official rule that defined it. That's gonna be hard to find...
I have zero proof of this, it's just a hunch based on my general knowledge of the French bureaucracy, and a number of relevant readings from that time frame.

Quant a General Journee (bless his soul), he might be just as full of s**t as the Lyon Armurier.

Best regards,
WC-

Sidelock
Sidelock

We have to be careful when using old BP guns.
As you can see in this picture the owner never know he have a black powder gun and use it with modern ammo.
Even thou 16 Ga ammo is much lighter than 20 and 12Ga (here in Argentina), you can see this Ideal N°1 made in 1901 is off face.

Martin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking at the ArmurieJeannot site, under Armes D'Occasion, they have "Mixtes", combination guns: SXS, Superposes, and "Basculantes" Googling Basculantes gives us dump trucks for sale in India and up and over garage doors in New Brunswick a bilingual Canadian province" - portes basculantes.
Thye pic in the catalogue shows a very chubby actioned gun. What is it? A three barreled gun
Comme Le Colonel LeBrun (LB) je puis parler quelques Francais, mais "basculantes"? Expliquez moi, s'il vous plait!
Michel

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beleg2,
Sorry, I could/should have been more clear.
That table that you posted momentarily was great reference though.
Thank you.

Jaycee,
Thank you for clearing that up for me.
-Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

I see that M Jeannot requires 2980 euros (approx $4295 US for the lunette Ideal for sale on his site
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

WC, from this page in the 1900 Manufrance catalogue it could be inferred that the
P is either for Poudre or for Pyroxylée, so...

Best,

JC

P.S.: Crown over F is for black powder proof with "Poudre Forte Nº2", so I imagine
that is where the F comes from. jc

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

JC, I have also misinterpreted the "palms". My Charlin has three of the crown/feathersa/stars couchant on a bed of barrel followed by St. Etienne. My minimalist "proofs of the world" says three of these whatzits indicate proof in finished state at 1300 Kg per sq. centimeter. The Acier Hercule stamps look like laurel wreaths which I suppose is what makes them "palms".

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

No problem Jim,
I post it again, just for the record.
I strongly recomend downloading old catalogs on St Etienne page. I have the in my PC for reference.

BTW: I read about a Jean Bretton book. What is the tittle?

Martin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, "basculer" means simply to tip, tip up, or tip over. "Basculante" would refer to break-open doubles, and would leave Darnes out in the cold. And I think the comparison between a dump truck dumping and the break-open action of a shotgun is a pretty good one.

The French gun term I always find interesting is "les ailes", or wings--referring to sideclips.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.