April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, SKB, MattH, Researcher), 1,011 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

George, Several years ago I visited Darlington Gun Works and spent some time with owner Jim Kelly. Based on my observations of their workshop and inventory of guns [some restored], why not let Jim restore the 4 bore?

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

O.W.D, TINKER, EIGHTBORE, ROMAC, CBL1, PM, BRIAN & ROY HEBBES: I'm going to Darlington Gun Works & Jim Kelly tomorrow, Friday, & get the word on a total restoration: Barrels, buttplate & wood.
Surprisingly the bores are in very good shape. The action is almost like new. I believe that it is an original 4 bore. The breech walls are in excess of 3/16th inches. I'll let Jim weigh the gun and the 36 inch barrels and I'll post the figure. Six live 4 bore Winchester cartridges and one empty, wood sectional cleaning rod, various brushes & lubricants. It does appear that the case came in contact with water on both ends, but otherwise the gun appears to have been well maintained. I would like the name of someone to restore the case.

Best Regards To All.......George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congratulations, George. Good luck with the resto.

I drove up to Jim's last Saturday in that bad weather to take him a double to repair. I think he'd do you a grest job, if he'll take it on.

Are "we" gonna shoot her after she's done?

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan: I'm headed over there now in the rain to get the word. You better believe that we're going to shoot her when she's done.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll gladly make the drive up to Lexington to touch off a "right 'n left" with that old girl! It won't be off'n a bench, though, I'll be on my hind legs!

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Boxlock
Boxlock

Hi George, Have you considered sending it to the uk ? I have a few contacts in the uk that have restored a few d/b 4 bores and made a fantastic job the last one being a ge lewis it was in a right state but looking at it now you would think it is all original and not tampered with . Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

George's gun does not have to go to the UK. It is in very good original shape except for the outside of the barrels. This is an easy restoration. I was a phone bidder and am disappointed that I didn't stay in for the duration. Maybe George will keep me in mind if he decides to sell or trade.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello: Stan, Bob & Bill: Well, I left the old girl with Jim Kelly yesterday for a complete renovation. I have always been pleased with his work and have seen other guns, such as Purdey & H&H, that he has restored. Bill is right, the major problem is with the barrels although the bore is very good. Jim showed me where the gun was converted from pin fire and he believes that it was originally built as a 4 bore. I know that it will take awhile but I will let you all know when it is done. In the meantime if you're in the neighborhood stop in a Darlington Gun Works and see the work in progress. I don't think that I'll be selling it anytime soon, but you never know.

Best Regards To All, George

Boxlock
Boxlock

No problem george , nice gun and a snip at just over 5k dollars i buy a lot of big bores and if i had know about it it would have cost you a lot more belive me. cheapest d/b 4bore in rough condition would cost you a min of 20k dollars in the uk
Best regards Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob, Bill & Stan: I believe what happened was this old girl was relegated to a damp basement after her owner passed away. He obviously cared properly for his gun, but somehow it got wet on both ends. All the old tools, ramrod, brushes, oil bottles, etc. are still in the case which also needs restoration. I'm going to try to get some background info from the auctioneer. Do any of you know who might have the E.M. Reilly records?

Best regards, George

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.