Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoser-

I know the CA state issues - I live in downtown Oakland!
Not for long though, we're selling off and moving to NV as soon as we can - hopefully before spring's done.

On the NF and GS bullets and custom ammunition -- you should get in touch with Merkel and Chapuis TODAY (What I mean to say is, you should pick up the phone this minute and make the call) and find out if both/either will stand by their rifles if fired with monometal solids. Do your homework (this minute) on factory ammunition for the 30-06 and have that for the conversation with the US representatives of the makers.

Know this.
Extensive use of monolithic bullets is known to cost barrel life.
Culling operations in the South Pacific and in Africa have noted this - guys who are qualified to know by way of having worn out factory tubes in single barrel turn bolt rifles, and who have run (right next to them) single barrel turn bolt rifles with softs from the same makers that DID NOT wear out prematurely.

For whatever reason, this issue of mono-solids and barrel lifespan seems to be controversial.
There are guys out there who seem hell-bent on 'debunking' what they presume must be a 'myth' -- and I'm just giving you a little heads up to take down the path.
You'll spend a fair bit of coin on a double rifle, and you're not going to be able to re-barrel it for anything less than THOUSANDS of dollars.

This is how it is:
You'll work out a HUNTING LOAD with monometal solids (Barnes or NF or GS or Woodleigh or Whatever...) and that load will be a known good load.

You WILL NOT waste this ammunition on plinking or practice or jolly-holly-time shooting. Instead, you will have found (some or other) factory ammunition that shoots to regulation in your rifle.
Chances are you'll even find an affordable HUNTING factory ammunition that works in your rifle (You WILL hunt in areas and states outside the Condor Zone).
My Crystal Ball tells me that you will soon own a beam scale, a single stage press and a set of 30-06 dies, and that you will realize that you are a NATURAL in the skills of Handloading, and that you will end up finding an impossibly cheap cast bullet load for your double rifle shat shoots amazingly well.
If I'm seeing things clearly, you end up taking a Black Bear, a Mule Deer, and a Bobcat ALL IN THE SAME Northern California hunting trip -- and you do it with cheap silver-box Winchester ammunition that you buy at a gas station in McLeod Ca on the way up to your hunt..!

Get on the phone.
Order the rifle.
Let us know when it arrives.

In the meantime we'll work on where and with whom you'll develop your unleaded ammunition for hunting in the Condor Zone.
You can even kill a couple of the ugly dumpster-divers while you're at it and help us erase the "Condor" from the 'Condor Zone'...

Write back today with your news from the Chapuis and Merkel reps.

Cheers
Tinker

hoser Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great post Tinker. Thanks (again).

I'm leaning toward having Superior Ammuntion, but there have been others suggested that would be options to work up a regulated, solid copper load for my specific rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoser-

Where in the state do you live?
There might be a qualified double rifle owner/hunter/handloader in our area who could walk you through the process of working up a load for your double rifle - at the shooting range. That all depends on where you live...

Have you contacted Chapuis, Merkel, Superior Ammunition, or another independent ammunition manufacturer yet?

Cheers
Tinker

hoser Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm in Fresno. I emailed Chapuis and Merkel but no response yet.

hoser Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I notice there seems to be a lot of 9.3x74R doubles for sale, but NO 30-06. Is that because the 3006 is not a popular double rifle round, not many makers make these in larger volume, or that most people keep them?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoser-

I've shot both 9.3x74r double rifles AND light .30 caliber double rifles.

The recoil from a properly stocked 30-06 is nothing.
The rifles are light and wand-like.

A 9.3 double rifle will need to be somewhat heavier, but they tend to be built light - and the cartridge has much much more energy than the little .30 caliber
The difference in recoil is considerable.

My sense is that there are plenty of the lighter rifles built - and at the price point you're looking to spend, there's no good reason to sell them once they're up and running, and they're a total joy to shoot and cheap to feed.
On this tier of production built rifles, there's no distinction of 'rare' or 'scarce' -- when someone wants one it comes and they keep coming...

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoser,
The Newer Merkel rifle in 9.3 and 30-06 is built on the small 28 gauge frame. It is very light. I have this 141 Model in 30-06 and love it. I would not like the light gun in 9.3x74r. It would be too light and more felt recoil. The older Merkel 140 Model was made on a larger frame and weighed 1 lb + more than the new. I had that gun prior to the 06 and loved it as well.
Bob Jurewicz

hoser Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm noticing the newer 141 guns are about twice the price of Chapuis. I may just stick with Chapuis, even thought a 141 in 30-06 sounds perfect!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing wrong with the Chapuis!

They're known to be very very accurate too - and If I recall, they all come set up to take scope bases, from the factory.

So.
Have you called Chapuis and Merkel yet about monometal bullets and factory 'unleaded' ammunition?
I'm guessing that ANY dealer who's holding a new double rifle in 30-06 would be willing to talk price with you too.
A sale is a good thing after all!

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoser,
I just noticed a 9.3 Chapuis for sale on NitroExpress for $4100 inclding shipping,scope mounts and ammo. WHAT A DEAL!!! I have nothing to do with that gun!
Bob Jurewicz

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.