March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (canvasback, Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret), 818 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
hoser Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was really pretty set on a 30-06 for ease of ammo availability. Plus, living in California, there's the whole "lead bullet" ban in much of the state. So I'm assuming there will be better selection.

But seems like the 9.3x74R would be a really cool caliber, especially in a hearty double rifle.

This would probably be my only double and only plan on using in US, not Africa (although I can dream about that). Mostly for wild boar but hopefully moose, elk and bear someday. Thoughts and opinions?

Last edited by hoser; 12/30/09 12:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoser-

You need to get over to nitroexpress.com and introduce yourself to the community there - and do a lot of listening.

Double rifles are in so many ways different than the 'other choices' available to the modern hunter - and they need special care and feeding.

You speak of lead-free ammunition and that you live in California.
Double rifles and monolithic solid copper bullets are not necessarily a very good combination.
Those very hard bullets can do expensive harm to double rifle barrels. There are even bullet designs which incorporate lead that are strongly NOT recommended for use in double rifles (partitions and a-frames for example) due to the unforgiving, very hard solid sections of copper in the belly of the bullets...

Before you buy a double rifle you need to prep yourself for a 'different' kind of approach to shooting and feeding your rifles.
You'll do very very well to seriously consider getting set up to handload for whatever rifle you get.

One doesn't own a double rifle for the 'cheap and available ammunition'

On caliber selection for what you describe - the 30-06 could definitely do all you need to do for your entire hunting life.
The 30-06 will have very little recoil at all, the rifles are very handy and light.
The 9.3 is a great big game cartridge, but it will have much more recoil, the rifles will be heavier.

A 30-06 double rifle would be really sweet.
If you're looking to buy new, get in contact with the maker (call Merkel for instance) and ask them if they will guarantee their rifle against damage caused by shooting solid copper bullets through it.
I'd be very interested to hear what they have to say about that.

Cheers
Tinker

hoser Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I tried to register at nitroexpress.com but haven't been approved yet. I think they're having some "issues" with that.

Great input on doubles! I'm hoping modern rifles won't have any issues but I'll email a few manufacturers and see what they say. Hopefully someone here will chime in with that specific info!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoser-

I'll put this in very simple terms.
The topic of monometal solids in double rifles is controversial.

Here and here are a couple of threads currently in discussion over at NE

Take a look there for starters.

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoser-

Something else for you to consider...

When you get set up with your new double rifle, you will at some time (hopefully sooner than later) find out what ammunition it likes best.
Once that moment passes, your job is to get stocked up on that ammunition - or to run that ammunition through a chronograph and get your loading gear together, then to duplicate it's performance through your rifle.
Load development for that rifle is then done for good.
That's the ammunition you'll run through that rifle.

Also.
The 20ga 'rifled shotgun' that's offered by Galazan, The RBL Professional, might be a really good choice for you.

It's not really a shotgun, but it is legal for shotgun-only deer hunting seasons in shotgun-only states.
It's a fully-rifled 20ga double rifle, set up specifically for modern sabot slug ammunition - and there are very effective copper-solid sabot-slug loads for the 20ga guns.
This is a new model for them, and from what I've seen 'around and about', those who have gotten theirs are quite happy with what they got, and the rifles are accurate.
The regulation of the barrels is also adjustable for different ammunition loads too.
Think on that!

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

The few I've talked with the RBL rifled 20's say they kick like an injured mule with a grudge to settle...

Double guns and English Setters
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve-

Do you know if they were shooting off a bench or shooting from field hunting positions?

Originally Posted By: Steve I.
The few I've talked with the RBL rifled 20's say they kick like an injured mule with a grudge to settle...

Guys who are accustomed to shooting single barrel rifles 'at the range' tend to do well with a bit of an adjustment period - I just can't imagine one of those little RBL guns kicking much at all.

Over on AccurateReloading one of the members recently got an RBL Professional.
He's owned/shot/hunted with double rifles for years and wanted one of them for shotgun-only seasons/states.
Here's his impression.

I've shot hot slug loads out of 20bore guns in the past - I wouldn't consider the experience very far off 'love tap' levels of recoil.
Fit means a lot too - perhaps they just didn't get measured properly for the gun or the gun wasn't built properly to their specifications.
From what I'd heard, the RBL is a custom-fit deal...

Cheers
Tinker

Sidelock
Sidelock

I read his post and it was very informative, the main thing I take away from it is he is using a light, relativly slow load. It is destined to produce less recoil. The only one I have seen here in Iowa was purchased by a friend of mine and with Hornady SST's it shot beautifully-but you paid for it he said. I have yet to shoot the gun. He was shooting with a "trigger stick" and standing up. Said the gun had tremendous muzzle blast and rise but the sst is a HOT slug. I told him to use the managed recoil buckhammer by Remington but he didn't get around to it. We are going to take a weekend this spring to regulate and tune this gun. It has wonderful asthetics and handles quite well but he didn't get it in time to do serious work with it to use during our December shotgun season. He stuck with the old reliable A-Bolt 12ga and got a nice mature doe for the freezer. I plan on posting a lengthy thread as to my personal expirience with it this spring.

Double guns and English Setters
hoser Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can anyone recommend a professional company that custom loads ammo for a double rifle using NORTH FORK bullets? Based on info from this thread and an email from North Fork, I think using that bullet in California is the best bet. Not a big reloader right now so would want some assistance with fully loaded ammunition.

I've seen Superior Ammunition out of SD may be of help. Any feedback on these guys?
http://www.superiorammo.com/customammunition.html

Any other recommendations?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.