April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (NCTarheel, Jimmy W, Argo44, 1 invisible), 804 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,839
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hoser Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What's your opinions of the over/under express rifles built on shotguns frames (like Beretta or Rizzini)? Do these make good hunting rifles? Pros and cons?

I don't want to spend a lot, so these seem best bets OR should I try and save up and get a SxS instead? If so, any recommendations?

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can pick up a Valmet 412 in 30-06 o/u for about $1,000.

Pete

hoser Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How is Valmet quality? I don't know anything about them.

hoser Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For SXS rifles, what are your opinions or suggestions for entry level guns:
Chapuis vs Merkel vs Heym vs Others?

Last edited by hoser; 12/28/09 03:12 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoser-

What's your top end budget for a rifle, ammunition, and loading equipment (dies, bullets&brass, etc)

What caliber(s) are you interested in?

Have you shot or hunted with a double rifle before?

Will you be wanting to put a scope on your double rifle?

Cheers
Tinker

hoser Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm thinking 30-06 due to ammo availability. I'd love 9.3x74R, but ammo is harder to come by.

Would like option to add scope in future.

I'm guessing gun budget may be in the $4000 range, but I've seen o/u for less like the Valmet.

hoser Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BTW, there's no LOGICAL reason I want to get a double rifle for hunting (probably wild boar), but just like the cool factor! O/U's can be had for less, but when I take out my sxs shotties, I love that feeling...so I'm sure I'll feel the same about rifles!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoser-

No need to justify or to get anything like logic into this discussion.
Not with me.

You can get into a Remington/Baikal SxS 30-06 double rifle for about $1000 and that might even include a scope mount or even a scope too. Check Gunbroker etc and go from there.
I've seen/heard of many many guys who have done quite well shooting and hunting with their Remington SxS double rifles.

I haven't followed the pricing/value on Valmet double rifles, but I'd assume you could get into a similar deal on one of them too.

Up in the $4kUSD range there are more choices, and the choices are going to be nicer looking, maybe better handling, maybe better shooting -- but with both the remington and the valmet you can adjust the barrels for different loads (some see this as a desirable feature, some don't)

Where do you live?
There's always the chance that there will be a show/shoot/gathering where you'd be able to see, handle, and maybe even shoot a few different examples of things that are inside or near your budget -- before you buy.

Cheers
Tinker

hoser Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think I remember seeing a Baikal sxs in 45-70 locally, now that you mention that manufacturer. Are these decent?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hoser-

You get what you pay for.
With double rifles, it takes a lot more money to get relatively similar quality levels seen on double shotguns -- there are reasons for this, and the reasons all cost man-hours in the end.

From many reports, from all over the country, the Remington double rifles have shown up to be useful and durable hunting rifles.
Think of them as the decent 'truck guns' of the low-price double rifle spectrum.

Double rifles take relatively simple but specific steps of maintenance and handling *including loading for them*, to keep them in good, safe working order.
I can't say what the life expectancy of the Remington rifles will end up being - as they were only on the market for this last year or so - and Remington seems to have abandoned the line.

Cheers
Tinker

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.