May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (earlyriser, GETTEMANS), 426 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,552
Posts546,241
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

You did the right thing by asking for advice and informing everybody you were a newbie as a dog owner. I am sure you are aware by now that there is a lot to learn as a new dog owner, training, feeding, heath, what all of those letters are before and after the names in your dogs pedigree etc. etc. Dogs are like any other new hobby, job or big boy toy, they all take time to learn and the only stupid questions are the ones not asked. Take this as a lesson learned as there will be many more.
I can tell from your other post about your dog how proud you are of her, and how much you love her.

Flip

jas Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

On Saturday my family and I were looking for a Christmas tree with the two family dogs. L'archer (french Brittany 33 pounds) was doing his usual looking for birds, when three Labs attacked him - knocking him down and chewing on his left hind quarter. My daughter, her husband ran to the rescue but their Rodesian Ridgeback got there first breaking up the attack. Luckly he is a pup or there would have only been two of them standing.
We took the mud covered scared dog home and notice some chewed places. We the called a friend at the animal pound on what to do. She suggested or told us to call the local sheriff which we did. He went out, check out the dogs and had them impounded for 10 days. We could have taken the dog to the vet at the owners expence but since it was Saturday decided not to. Today is Thursday and he is still okay
I never thought LABs were an attacking dog. It is the first time in my limited dog owning experience that I have seen hunting dogs attack another dog. It would have been a worse experience if it was a small child or local farm animal.
John

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jim,
Thanks, I've looked into having her snake trained and I'll do it in the off season this coming year. Snakes were not a concern where I hunted this year due to the cold but different seasons have had some very warm openners.

When we bought Jas, we (wife and me) both read training books extensively, virtually all of which contain chapters on dog care and vet services. We polled every friend and acquaintance that had a dog for their opinion on the best vet. Jas got a vet check, missing shots, and consultation within a couple weeks of getting her. She's now been to the vet 3 times in 3 months. We studied nutrition and sought the advice of the vet and other trusted sources. I am currently seeking a technical book on vetinary medicine for dogs. I hope we're being and will continue to be responsible owners.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck - Considering your dog showed no symptoms a couple days after showing a slight limp, and none for about a week thereafter, I think your decision to take her out again was reasonable. I would have taken her to a vet as soon as she displayed the pronounced limp following your hunt. It's quite possible the dislocation happened that day. Sounds like this might have been late at night? Jay

jas Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,
We have snake training in the Portland area. I'll send you the contact.
John

Currently own two Morgan cars. Starting on Black Powder hunting to advoid the mob of riflemen.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My advice based upon a lifetime of owning hunting dogs from beagles as a kid to bird dogs through most of my adult life to labs in my declining years is just to use your own common sense about when to call the vet and don't worry about what all the second guessers around here say. Think of your dogs as your children and you won't go wrong. Some of the posts in this thread sound like an angry custodial ex-wife with full medical benefits for herself and the children on a rampage. Just my opinion...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good advice George....I was thinking the same thing.

How do you snake train a dog ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Homeless Joe, down here in south georgia along the florida state line, you just take 'em huntin' for about 2 years. If they're still alive, they must be snake trained...Geo

jas Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,
The Portland NAVHDA is having a snake training course in August. It sometimes includes Porcupines. http://www.pnwnavhda.com/
The class fills early so contact Paul Ecker as soon as the date is announced.
John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck:

The longer you work with dogs the sooner you will pick up on these types of things and you will be albe to tell sooner when a problem is serious. My lab was so driven she hunter through a torn ACL for about 2-3 weeks. She limped only slightly after working or hunting. When this didn't go away I took her to the vet and surprise, surprise and did I feel like a bad parent. $1,000 later and 6 months of swimming and she was nearly as good new.

Have fun and enjoy your pup.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.