May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Chantry, KDGJ, MattH, Karl Graebner), 523 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jack,
I'm new to dogs and sure didn't mean to leave her with a dislocated front shoulder. She didn't show much sign of any problem after a few days of rest, with progressive improvement. In fact, she didn't really limp badly that first day. No limp when I worked her out on Christmas, so I took her hunting the next day. She hid any discomfort she was experiencing so well I didn't pick up on the injury. Looking back at it, I wish I'd have taken her to the vet on that day she first showed a limp, but I wasn't sure what the injury was or how she got it. I pieced it together later. I'm sorry I didn't have the insight you have.

This dog seems to hide pain well. When the vet popped it in, she didn't flinch. In October, the vet stuck a big needle in her forearm and Jas didn't blink, no effect.

But you're right, I let her down, and I need to pay more attention to her. Apparently, closer than I've done here.

BTW, the doc said this type of injury is not all that uncommon.

Last edited by Chuck H; 12/28/06 02:30 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack, I agree with your sentiments, but think you were very rude and could have made your point better worded.
Chuck, thanks for sharing your experience with us, let us hope we all heed your advice and I hope Jas shares a happy and fruitful career with you.
Let us all never forget that our order of merit should be.Check over your dog and dry, feed and water it and bed it down after a day in the field, clean your gun, and store it away.Check over the vehicle and refuel it and park it up.Ask the wife if she had a good days shopping while you were hunting, check the bank account to make sure you are still solvent.Have a bath and drink a good Malt, retire to bed and dream peacefully of adventures old and new.Look after the wife and tend her every need, then she will be happy for you to go off again.With your best friend, your dog.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dog ownership has inherent responsibilities. Hunting and working dogs have far more chances to get hurt than the average dog. We do have too look after our dogs, but if I, and most of the guys I know, took our dogs to the vet at the first sign of an injury, I would be broke. That doesn't make me a bad owner. My dog runs on my property for 8 hours a day, and he is constantly running. There have been times I have noticed he had a limp. On the first occassion I noticed this, he went right to the vets, there was nothing wrong. Hunting and Working dogs get a lot of bumps and bruises, our job is to watch them and take care of them, but that doesn't always mean a vet visit. I hope you are all not misunderstanding me, my basic point is that you don't rush to the doctor everytime you stub your toe or roll your ankle, you wait a few days and take it easy, then if it still hurts, you go to the Dr.

I would have handled it the same way as Mr.H handled it. He clearly cares for this dog and its unfair to make him a villian here.

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guys, this little gal gets a large dose of attention and fairly lives indoors with us. She sleeps in our den in a padded kennel and I play with her constantly as she has that constant attention demand puppies have. She's in my lap and at my side nearly at all times except when I'm at work. My wife and her are also the same way. It hurts me to think she was in pain this whole time.

I checked her as best I knew how on that first two days after she showed signs of injury. I'm new to dogs, but have had horses for many years and have gone thru and been around many, many injuries on them and personally treated many. Putting tens of thousands of miles on horses exposes you to many things the ordinary recreational horseman may never see. I'm no vet or dog man, but I'm not totally ignorant.

Yet, still I didn't see this problem for what it was, since she improved just like a sore joint would and didn't show at all before I went hunting, even with all the close contact I have with her.

Dig,
She gets a rinse and rubdown and checkout after every hunt, few that they've been, before my gun gets cleaned.

Jack,
This little girl means a lot to me. "Macho" doesn't fit anywhere in describing her and any part of my having her (and her sqeaky toys). "Stupid" I'm admitting to on the internet so maybe someone else doesn't make the same mistake.

Riprap,
Here her highness is sleeping on my very expensive hat just a few hours after I met her. Choc Lab to answer your question.

Last edited by Chuck H; 12/28/06 05:57 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When in doubt, go to the vet. Our four legged friends can't talk, whereas our kids can, so better to be safe than sorry, as you found out. I had a similar experience with a Lab a lot of years ago. He kept rubbing his face on the floor and with his paw. I couldn't see a thing. The vet pulled a quite large pointy seed, the kind that itch like hell on you when they get in your socks, out from under his lower eyelid.
I didn't go to the doctor for 3 days when my leg was broken in 3 places; I kept telling myself it was a sprain. I run to the vet at the first hint of a problem. Anyone who doesn't think that's "real manly" can just think it, I flat do not care.

Originally Posted By: StormsGSP
Hunting and Working dogs get a lot of bumps and bruises, our job is to watch them and take care of them, but that doesn't always mean a vet visit.

Sure, bumps, bruises, cuts, etc., happen. And if you know exactly what the problem is, you can make a judicious decision about whether to go to the vet or not. But until they reach full growth, bone development is a serious issue in pups.

Anything that might indicate a structural injury in a pup should be checked out immediately. The pup might have a high pain threshold, but walking, playing, and hunting for a week with a dislocated shoulder could affect bone and joint development and have long term effects. I'd hate to see a good dog's working life shortened for lack of vet care when it was a pup.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,
That's a great pic! Glad your dog's OK - we do the same here; go to the vet if unsure about something (or pediatrician for the other pups), and 1/2 the time it's unnecessary. That's part of our job as dog owners.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Chuck:

Great move! I can't add any more to what was offered by the others. If in doubt, always see a vet!

Nice looking dog!

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck,

You might check your local chapter of QU or PF to see if they have a course in first aid for dogs. Our chapter did recently and it was very worthwhile. From injuries to posion and snakebite, the course wss taught be a vet who hunts dogs. Really worthwhile.

Jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

I try to avoid letting a dog, particularly one is when not warmed up, jump DOWN. Like when letting one out of the back end of a truck or SUV when starting a hunt. I will usually lift one down, make them stand there for a moment, check him/her out (eyes, ears, etc) and send them on their way. It's good discipline for the dog and in my opinion way better for the dog, physically.

[IMG]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.