April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Ken Nelson, Marks_21, Kolar Dickson, graybeardtmm3, 1 invisible), 254 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,036
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16930 12/27/06 03:17 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello! Please permit me an introduction.

My name is Bruce Gray, and I am president of a small pistolsmithing and practical firearms instruction corporation called Grayguns Inc. We specialize in competition and service pistolsmithing, and we are particularly proud of our work with SIGARMS. I am also a gunwriter and firearms industry consultant.

As a sideline, I've been building heavy DG rifles for my Alaskan and African hunting clients. This interest of mine, sparked by my minor experience in Africa, has naturally drawn me towards classic white hunting arms.

I'm sure I'm in good company here in believing the double rifle represents the pinnacle of the gunmaker's art. After more than 3 decades as a high grade pistolsmith, I have been called to build a set of double rifles.
Knowing absolutely nothing of this work, I'm naturally going to do it. I'll listen with great respect to any and all informed opinions and advice, including those who'd talk me out of it of course.

Thank you in advance for permitting me this opportunity to say HI and explain myself. I wish to be nothing more than an asset to this Forum. Happy New Year!

-Bruce

Welcome, Bruce. You have already whet our appetite!
Do you intend smithing the double rifles from scratch, or will you build them on suitable shotgun actions, as is becoming popular these days?
Not only will we refuse to talk you out of it, we insist that you post photos of your progress!

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Mr. Marrakai,

I do intend to build them from scratch, with the proviso that I'll subcontract such tasks to others as they can be done better or more efficiently.

However, as a starting point from which to gain some experience, I'll probably end up converting a shotgun as well. (My wife could make good use of a nice, light 30/40 Krag for boar anyway.)

I figure the place to start is...not to, until I've learned everything I can about these fascinating rifles. To me, that will mean gaining a prety strong understanding of bolting systems, pros and cons of the various action styles, metallurgy and manufacturing methods. Pretty much, this work will become something our shop will develop a skill for, if we're successful.

Thank you for your generous reply and encouragement!

-Bruce

Boxlock
Boxlock

Utility is when you have one telephone, luxury is when you have two, and paradise is when you have none.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bruce-

As a craftsman and a career metalsmith, the first thing that comes to mind for me here is to say this...
It should be easy for you, as the double rifle is one of those things where everything must be done to perfection.

Marrakai, dig up your notes on the Webley treble-grip and get him started right.
No sense in mucking about!

--Tinker

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.