May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, AGS, fullandfuller, R. Glenz), 805 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,497
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Could you please handle the riot Marc? It's a long cold walk to NH this time of year for me and Mike, and Mearns season opens Sat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I freely admit that I certainly don't know it all BUT, that being said --- in my now 52 years of ennealing, engraving & having said guns re-color cased vis bone & charcoal --- I haven't had any of them crack or blow. FWIW

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
There is one way to settle this once and for all. Take one gun and re-case color it repeatedly and see if any distortion or brittleness in the receiver results. Three or four times should settle this for everyone. I have several guns which are candidates and would be willing to submit one of them for testing. Any interest in finding out? I accept Dewey Vicknair's opinion and remarks and willing to back it up with a gun. Maybe we can end this rehash of "to color or not to color" once and for all.

John,..I have a box full of SCRAP frames that I've been using over the years to experiment with and perfect my CCH process., some of them have gone through the furnace as many as 10 times and I found that some are more susceptible to movement than others, but they will by the most part have some micromovements after a couple of cicles,.. but it all depends on the action type, the more delicate and dainty the frames are the quicker they start to show signs of movement, but all will anneal back to the softness of butter if properly done.

I've also gone the other route just for the hell of it and quenched some above the critical temperature,...and can tell you from experience that the colours will be unbelievably intense, but the warping comes quick and if done enough times tangs carburize right through and can be easily snapped with a light blow from a hammer.

Doing this will take a lot of dedication because of the big learning curve,..and spending a few bucks on equipment and ready set up components from brownells usually won't cut it. I've been contacted by a few guys that had started to do CCH and were looking for help, but none of them where willing to go the extra mile and put in the time and money required do it right so they gave up, unfortunately the reason they called in the first place was because they'd already screwed something up....well these are the guns that we hear about,the ones that got screwed up, the other ones ( most of them) are still in service and doing great.

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Boxlock
Boxlock

OK, I'm no restoration expert but if I found out after the fact that some guy took a torch to my shotgun so as to phony up case hardining I would be compelled to either kick his a%% so hard he would have to unbutton is collar to take a leak or I'd sue the crap out of him for falsely presenting a bogus restoration. Ed, you may think you're right but you're not.

R J Talley
Madison Fellow '98
Sidelock
Sidelock

Be glad to Drew. I know you're really limited on hunting time
Wish I was joining you in a couple weeks.

Marcus

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Take one gun and re-case color it repeatedly and see if any distortion or brittleness in the receiver results.

When you run this test don't just "Re-Case Color" but ""RE-CASE (Color) HARDEN". There is a vast & distinct diference between the two. Re-Case "Coloring" will have no affect on the metallurgy except to draw out most of the hardness of the case & leave it in a softened condition.
It is of course quite true the core of a piece of carburized low carbon steel will not become brittle upon quenching. It is also equally true the "Case" itself can & sometimes will if left totally "UnTempered" develop hairline surface cracks. Some steels are more susceptical to this than others. A tempering in the range of 300°F ±25°F will ususally provide adequate protection against this with little detrement to the hardness.
I have personally witnessed this surface checking on a piece of 1018/1020 steel which was "Professionally" case-hardened (not for color),then finish ground into a paralell bar to within ±.0002" dimensions. (Fortunately it wasn't mine).
It is also noted that "Chemical Coloring" (Paint on) is done on warm metal, NOT HOT which does no damage at all to any steel. This method has been described here on several ocasions & was taken from an Ithaca Service Manual for use on Perazzi Receivers, which were I believe an alloy steel & only artificially "Colored" originally.
Some I think are totally confusing this process with "Torch Coloring" in which patches of the steel are heated till they form "Temper Colors". This should be a Crime punishable by hanging from a New Rope for 30 days.
My personal preference on an old gun with the case colors gone is to simply enjoy its character "AS_IS".

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

i think 2-piper has come up with the best idea yet:

"My personal preference on an old gun with the case colors gone is to simply enjoy its character "AS_IS". "

trouble is, many fine guns have had their receivers polished bright and look awful. re coloring seems to be the best alternative to leaving the gun with a crome plated looking receiver finish. almost as bad is to find the receiver blued.

Last edited by ed good; 11/27/09 05:13 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a great little 28 gauge Parker with blued receiver. It will remain blued until it wears off from hunting or goes somewhere else to live. It has more character now than it will if the blue gets polished off or someone decides to make it "new" by recoloring it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

i must confes, i hav no tised ah few blued recever gons from tim tu tim. every now en den, one o dem winchester 21's ore ah brownin bss coms ah long. man, i jes cant wait tu hit it wid de navel jelly an den watch dat blue jes disapears. den i runs de torch over hit, jest ah little bit, don ja know, an den i splashes on ah little pickel juice, an wa la! i got dem bright, i daslin case colors, jes jumpin rite out at me....

Last edited by ed good; 11/27/09 07:49 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

ed, i sho is glad you didunt do dat to dat thutty inch bss you sole me las spring!

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.