Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no such thing as 1,1,1 tetrachloroethylene. There is : CCl2=CCl2(tetrachloroethylene-the old dry cleaning fluid) which will decompose under heat and there is CCl2=CClH (trichloroethylene - an anesthetic and degreaser) which is very ugly to use.Stay away from both.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The fact that trichlor is not sold anymore doesn't mean it's all gone. I have a bottle of Chlordane which was outlawed many years ago, and saw a bottle of DDT at a flea market this past summer. I sometimes go to auto parts swap meets. Vendors sell lead based auto paint, outlawed chemicals, etc.,much of it NOS in unopened containers. Anything to make a buck, and ignorance is bliss.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

keith #168225 11/24/09 07:06 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

William, is that dry-cleaning fluid the same stuff that used to be called "carbon tetrachloride"?

Sidelock
Sidelock

No. Carbon tetrachloride is 1 C and 4 Cl's (CCl4).Used as a cleaning agent and fire extinguisher.If you are old enough, tear drop glass bottle as big as your fist,red in color,throw at base of flame. Bet Miller has seen them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

William, we had them in holders placed around an old farmhouse I once lived in in the 40's or early 50's if my memory serves.

Glen

NRA Life Member 1969
OGCA
Sidelock
Sidelock

Methinks the original story is the product of an overactive imagination.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you willing to spray some trichlor on rusty metal and MIG weld on it? I wouldn't. Having taken about a dozen inorganic and organic chemistry classes and lab courses gave me a healthy respect for some of the thousands of chemicals we encounter. I worked with two pipefitters and a welder who were overcome and suffered permanent nervous system damage while welding (arc) in a large waste oil tank in a steel mill. Investigation never determined what solvent or solvents were in there that reacted with extreme welding heat to injure and nearly kill them. Did you know that the largest source of dioxin (that's the nasty stuff known as Agent Orange) in our environment is the decomposition from burning plastic? This stuff is toxic and carcinogenic in parts per billion, not ppm as we measure most toxins. Ask the former surviving residents of Times Beach, Missouri the results of not taking care with chemicals. We U.S. taxpayers spent billions in Superfund money to relocate the whole town and bag it up and send it to a hazardous waste facility. But as the old Monsanto commercials once said, "Without chemicals, life itself would be impossible." You betcha.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

the label says don't use around welding operations because of heat /gas conversions.that should have been the first clue not to use it as the cleaner of choice for that day.that is what we should believe. mc

mc #168363 11/25/09 04:31 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Right mc. We need to read and heed the labels of the cleaners and solvents we use when soaking stocks, blueing, or cleaning guns. Some of this stuff is nasty, and we may not realize that until years down the road when we are diagnosed with some cancer.I never forgot a safety poster that the professor put up in organic chem lab. It was a picture of a hand made out of sponge. It said something like "This is how your skin is to most organic solvents."

keith #168380 11/25/09 07:06 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

William,
Had my spelling wrong (not an unusual occurance) but, I remember the labels warning about this stuff in years past,

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/trichlor.html

Haven't seen anything labeled with it in a few years. The solvent that keeps spray paint from hardening in the can is the same one used in zip strip, and nasty as hell, too. Methylene cloride? About zero safe yearly exposure, if memory serves.

I exceeded that amount in several years. Hope for the best, eh?

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.