April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (smlekid, HalfaDouble, Lloyd3, SKB, 2 invisible), 814 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,831
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wonder if there is a significant pressure problem with shooting a 2.75" 1oz. rifled slug (non-sabot) in my circa 1914 Sauer 12ga X.43 Mauser Cape Gun. The shotgun barrel has a 2.5" chamber and is marked 'nitro proof' and the Federal slug I have been wanting to try is marked 'max load' (don't think I've seen a slug shell that wasn't). The choke measures IM with a drop-in choke device. Barrels are steel. Greener crossbolt.

The gun probably was not meant for modern slug loads, but is in pretty good condition and is built to withstand the rifle cartridge. Am I gonna blow something up if I try this out? The rifle barrell shoots the old CIL 385gr factory loads pretty well to point of aim with the 100yd leaf site, and I'd like to see how the slug matches up.

Thought I would seek advice here before I did something unusually stupid...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know folks hate to answer a question like this one; too many variables and not much literature. Don't even try to get an answer out of a gunmaker or ammo mfgr.

I think the gun is stout enough since it was built to handle the rifle pressure and recoil, so the question is the shotgun barrell. Based on information to the effect that the longer shell in the 2.5" chamber does not in itself cause an appreciable pressure rise I don't see how the chamber length is an issue. The payload of the slug is 1oz which shouldn't be a problem. The only problem I see is the higher pressure of the Saami spec modern slug shell.

I'm not going to hold anyone responsible for what I may decide to do, but I'd like to know if everyone thinks I'm making a big mistake.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would not do it. For one thing the recoil will be severe. A saboted slug would be better for the choke restriction.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Mike, I wondered if the saboted slug might not be a better choice. I have some on hand, but they're 1 and 1/8oz (OUCH!). I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but a 12ga slug out of this gun might change my outlook on that. I'm deer hunting with the cape gun this year and would like to have a back-up for the rifle shot. I guess I could use buckshot (I can't find any of those in 2.5" either), but if the slug happens to shoot to point of aim I'd rather use that...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

When in doubt, look it up. The above article answers a lot of what I was wondering about. Think I'll stick with the 1oz foster type slug. I posted the link in case anyone else might be interested...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I wonder if there is a significant pressure problem with shooting a 2.75" 1oz. rifled slug (non-sabot) in my circa 1914 Sauer 12ga X.43 Mauser Cape Gun. The shotgun barrel has a 2.5" chamber

Yes, there is big problem. Slug will cut a piece of plastic case, when you fire 2.75" slug ammo in 2.5" chamber.
Can't say about pressure, but nothing good to shoot factory loaded slug ammo in 1914 old gun. One way to load ammo yourself.

Geno.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.